Insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Just after a bit of advice. I have been on 15mg of mirtazapine for about 3 months. Unfortunately I have gained a stone during this time, plus I’ve now been told I have high cholesterol. I haven’t changed any eating habits and I am a regular gym goer. My gp has recommended I aim to come of this medication by the spring. I have started to tapered to 7.5mg and will reduce to 3.75 in the next couple of weeks. Do you think I will continue to gain weight at 3.75? Thanks  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ally

cant see you gaining weight to be honest..

has your doc said if he's going put you on different antidepressants?

do u suffer side effects from mirt or is it just your weight is the issue?

kaz 

• Posted

Hi Kaz,

I was only on in this for problems with insomnia. My gp didn’t offer any alternative, only to take melatonin and try to enroll in some mindfulness/medication classes. 

I have gained nearly a stone, and now have high cholesterol and  blood vessels keep bursting in my eyes, very strange! 

• Posted

Ally

i was taking 45mg and gain almost a stone over period of a year then when I went down to 30mg I started to loss weight but my doc didn't taper me down I was took of it overnight 

I'm now of 15mg mirtazapine close to 15wks but I had bad withdrawls which I'm still suffering so yes I lost the weight I put on..

was your tapering ok ? Did you not have withdrawls?

kaz 

• Posted

Awwr sorry to hear you’ve experienced bad withdrawals. Tbh I’ve not noticed any difference from 15mg to 7.5mg I think I’ll stay on that for a couple of weeks and then cut that in half.

On a plus - it’s  good that your  weight is starting to shift! X

• Posted

Yes so glad to get back to normal size again 

good luck hopefully You will be of mirtazapine soon 

kaz

• Posted

Most definitely you will. I gained 3 stone. Whilst these are great for depression they seem to have nasty side effects. They are given to people with anorexia...so that would have been nice to know wouldn't it

• Posted

That’s my concern Lorraine. I have already put in a stone, which is getting me down. So Im Defo gonna come of this medication, but I suppose u should taper off rather than stopping altogether? 
    • Posted

You will get nasty side effect if you don't taper and will probably end up back on a high dose, so be patient. Each time you taper slightly give it a month before the next stage.

• Posted

Hi Ally,

Your story is similar to mine. On mirt 15mg for 4 months, gained 40 lbs. I held the same weight thru the taper. I am off 14 weeks and have not lost any appreciable weight. You may fare better due to your hi activity level. I am doing minimal at home workouts. Good luck.

• Posted

Fingerscrossed, hopefully you will loose some of the weight soon, it can be really disheartening I bet x 

• Posted

Ally,

Btw, my taper lasted 2 1/2 weeks. Thats only what I did. I got really impatient. I dont feel i am doing any better or worse than anyone else. I didnt consult my dr. either.

• Posted

I forgot to say that I have tapered from 30mg to 7.5 over the last 6 months and still haven't lost an ounce. I read on here that you have to be off completely for the weight to drop

• Posted

Also just to say!! This medication really has worked wonders with my sleep, which is what I needed at the time!

Does anyone have any remedies I can try while I taper? Thanks! 

• Posted

Hey Ally,

I used Benadryl to try to sleep and i believe it interefered with my wirhdrawl process. It didnt really help me sleep. Lots of water is always a good thing and limiting caffeine. I also tried melatonin 5mg, it didnt work so much. Having and maintaing a positive mental state and going with the flow as far as symptoms go have been detrimental.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.