Insomnia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I’m new here - although been hovering reading a lot of information about Citralopram.  

I’ve been on it 5 weeks at 10mg.   I have the worst insomnia.  I have been prescribed Zopiclone which I try not to take.  I was going to take one tonight but dropped off and woke too late to take it.   

My insomnia is waking in the night after a couple of hours sleep and then awake for hours.  

It’s awful.  I feel trapped on the drug now and I have a review with GP on Thursday.   

Do I increase the dose or stick with it? 

I’m so worried that the insomnia won’t improve.  

I have seen benefits day to day - I can now function whereas I couldn’t a when I went to the GP to get something. 

It’s just the insomnia that’s my issue.  

Help, advice and encouragement needed please!  

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It will improve your body has to get used to it x I used to wake up in the night now i get a good night sleep but wake up at about 5 ish everyday . I was on 10mg and had a bad reaction to some antibiotics so had to go up to 20mg x It hasnt been easy i must admit but i am on week 9 now and can feel.a massive improvement x still have little blips here and there but i dont panic and deal with it x Talk to your doctor or pharmacist they are sometimes mote knowledgable about medications x
    • Posted

Thank you.  This is a tough journey and I get very panicked when I do t sleep as I just can’t deal with it all.   I know all the things to do and to try and accept the anxiety and keep going.  But when I’m tired I forget all that and go back inside my head trying to find answers and fighting it.    Trying to relax today but a lot of adrenaline to release after last night.   

Glad you’re feeling better.    

• Posted

It is difficult when u arent feeling your best i found an app end anxiety which i found really good x I was the other way though in the early days and slept all the time x You will get there honestly
  • Posted

Good Morning Babysteps, 

I’ve just started my 9th week and I’m in 10mg. I’ve had every side affect possible. My main one is insomnia. I didn’t sleep for about 4-5 days which was freaking me out. I went on Utube and listened to Rebekah Borucki meditation. I fell asleep listening to her so many nights. It’s so hard to believe it will pass but believe me it will. I still wake up but I fall back 😴. I’m not staring at the ceiling. 🙏🏻 I also believe walking has helped me with sleeping. I have a Fitbit which keeps me focused on my walking. Some days I do not have the ambition to walk but I push myself cause I know I’ll sleep better that night

This med takes time to adjust in our bodies. Just look at how much you have Improved in 5 weeks. I feel the beginning is the hardest. I had severe panic attacks which I was hospitalized a few times. I’m getting my life back 😆🙏🏻

I’m staying at 10mg because I’ve seen in this forum a lot of people have stayed at that dosage and are good with it. Just be patient. Keep a journal of your progress. Go for a walk put headphones on and drink water. Good luck keep us posted how you are doing. 

Will 😎

• Posted

Thank you Will.  It’s just reassuring that I’m not alone.    I will keep going on it!  
  • Posted

Babysteps, 

I just was to be clear that I had the panic attacks before I took this drug. And it has helped them leave me. Also walking helps with the jitters/anxiousness if you have that. 

Will😎

• Posted

I had horrible insomnia too when I first started Citalopram. If I remember correctly, I think it took me almost 3 months for it to go away. It was a gradual improvement.

?One weird thing I found with Citalopram (and this still happens to me), is that sometimes I'll think I haven't slept, but then my husband will tell me that he heard me snoring away;-). I think I sometimes sleep so light on it, that I don't know I've even slept. For that reason, I stayed in bed when I had my insomnia, and laid there in the dark rather than getting up or reading.

?It is possible your GP might want to increase your dosage to 20 mg. 10 mg is more of a maintenance dose, and "they" claim the therapeutic dose is 20mg and up. I'm on 40 mg, but I wish my doctor had kept me at 20 mg for more than one week, because I think that dosage probably would have worked for me. Now I'm scared to bump down again, after doing so well for 5 years (my current blip/relapse being an exception).

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

That is so bizarre about your sleeping. I was having dejaVu reading your response. I’ve been told I’m snoring and I swear I didn’t sleep cause I remember staring at the clock and ceiling. It’s crazy! 

I feel many times i do sleep for short periods of time and i remember seeing the clock a lot. I also don’t remember sleeping. It’s so bizarre. All I know is that I feel so fatigued the next day. But walking definitely does help with sleep! 

Will😎

• Posted

It's so weird, isn't it?! I think it has to be from the Citalopram, because I don't think I did that before. Of course, who knows, I could have, and just never noticed.

• Posted

The cit does bring on the strangest feelings that's for sure.

• Posted

I have spent some time this afternoon relaxing on the bed.   I wasn’t trying to sleep but think I dropped off after a while.   Relaxing was lovely though.  I told myself over and over ‘just be’.  I will take a Zopiclone tonight and I will keep this thread updated.  Thanks to everyone who has replied.   
    • Posted

I’m two weeks in on 20mg and the first week was horrendous, no sleep, been sick on a morning, no appetite. I had a much better week on the second week but still had some anxiety. I wake From 2am and struggle to get back to sleep as this isn’t when the anxiety kicks in so I know how you feel. I have been on 20 mg five years ago and then onto 10mg and I do remember that it does get easier and I did sleep properly again. It is hard in these early days and even me knowing deep down that it will get better it is hard to tell myself that at 2am when it feels dark and lonely. But you are not alone.please keep in touch.
    • Posted

Thank you Gemma.   I need this advice from all you guys to get me through.    It does help.   My fear is never sleeping again and is feeding my anxiety.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.