Insomnia and citalopram.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had insomnia since January this year really bad, I went to my GP and he prescribed zoplidem 10mg but found I had depression partly due to not sleeping not even an hour of a night, I have cancer so my energy levels are very low anyway. I was later prescribed citalopram 10mg this has made the matter worse as the sleeping tablets have no effect, I can go around the clock with no sleep, can anyone help me, I am very down and usually up beat before all this happened and feel anxious I try meditation and hypnotherepy also, please any advice.

paul

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your insomnia, that is the worst, and I've only very briefly dealt with it. I think it is strange that you were prescribed Citalopram to help with your depression/anxiety since those are effects of your sleeplessness. Granted, Citalopram seems to have a sedating effect for some people, I don't think that was the wisest prescription from your GP, in my opinion. I think you need something that will more directly help with the sleeplessness, which will in turn improve the depression/anxiety symptoms. Since messing around with my Citalopram dosage, I actually ended up having insomnia as an adverse effect, but this is different for everyone.

I unfortunately don't have the best advice, but I wouldn't think that Citalopram would have been the best choice of perscription for your paritcular situation. Potentially inquire about Trazadone, which is an old anti-depressant that is nowadays prescribed as a sleep aid in low doses for people with insomnia from depression/anxiety. But again, it seems like you need something that more directly helps with insomnia.

May I ask what you think the insomnia may have come about from? Any root cause you can think of?

• Posted

Hi yes it came about I had a lot of worry due to cancer scans as I have lymphoma then I got really bad chest infection then another infection due to tooth extraction my sleep deterioted after that and don't know why I went a whole week in February with no sleep not even for 1 hour as my body jolted me awake every time I went to nod off. Due you have any theories? Zolpidem helps but then reacted with the antidepressant.

• Posted

i also thought 'trazodone' when i read your situation,  i would be amazed if anyone can take that and not get a full nights worth of interrupted sleep.   ask your doctor about trazodone

• Posted

Thanks for discussion guys , I will ask my GP about them, I have found when I nod off without pills I jump start myself awake and my heart pounds then I can't sleep, with having the cancer to deal with its all getting a bit much emotionally with less than four hours sleep with sleeping pills Zoplidem usually works on 10 Mg maybe citropram is counteracting as side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.