Insomnia, deperosnalition and erratic thoughts!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, 19 y/o girl suffering anxiety, DP and OCD. I am just on my first week of fluoxetine seeking any helpful advice. Going into this I had a very irrational fear of taking any medication and took weeks of refusing to take it, until my boyfriend finally helped me one morning. I would appreciate everyone offering positive feedback as anything negative will trigger my anxiety. I've manged to get through my first week and I didn't expect to notice side effects this early on but have been experiencing insomnia over the past couple of nights. My sleep routine is fall asleep around midnight and then sleep until 3-4am, I wake up and can't get back to sleep. I will be awake until 9-10 am and then I fall back asleep until 4pm and wake up feeling incredibly tired for the whole time I'm awake. I know the insomnia might not be entirely related to the flu considering I have a very poor sleeping pattern at the moment but I'm not normally one of those people to keep waking up throughout the night and once Im alseep I stay asleep. I was just curious if experiencing insomnia was a common side effect to feel after a week and it ever goes away? I recall a year ago when I first started taking this that my sleeping pattern was similar in the sense that I slept mostly the entire day and couldn't sleep at all during the night but it didn't really effect me and I never gave much thought about it. I find it very irritating because I want a healthier lifestyle and need to wake up early and not fall asleep during the day sad can I expect the insomnia to fade in time?

As for the Depersonalisation, Well I had already been experiencing that for a about 2 months before I started taking flu and have had it on and off over the years since I was about 16. It mainly effects me through the 'floaty' feeling However, I felt over the past few days that it has been pretty intense and I don't know if I have ever experienced it to this extent before. I don't think flu causes DP but I'm assuming it makes the symptoms worse? It's really frightening to experience when I do and I really hope this medication can help subside this in the weeks to come. Has anyone had any similar expierences with DP and the 'floaty' feeling.

Last topic to touch on. I have been experiencing quite erratic and intrusive thoughts which I randomly will get from time to time. I feel this is just the flu worsening my OCD which has been very flared over the past weeks now. Needless to say it scares me and can be disturbing. I wondered if this was also common? And if anyone suffering OCD thought that flu improved theirs?

I'm not an impatient person and I understand this medication quite well. I'm not expecting a miracle after a week and I know I need to give it time but I think positive input is what I need right now. I have been through a lot over the past 2 or so months with my anxiety and a taking this medication was a step in the right direction but at the same time my fears and thoughts make me think otherwise. sad

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Kasey, just take some nice deep relaxing breaths.....there now that's better, and don't worry what you experienced with the initial taking of flu, that also happened to me too.  Had the crazy dreams, waking up at 2am most mornings etc etc. 

But things did get better for me and they will for you too I hope.  Take some time out for you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.