Intense hunger is a real issue now

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just wanted to write about my experiences with intense hunger. I have now been on Citalopram for 4 weeks, and in the last to weeks I have really struggled with having to eat often, I can't make it through from breakfast to lunch or lunch to dinner without having to eat something inbetween.

The hunger is so intense that I get cold, dizzy and clammy. I have had 2 blood tests for diabetes and both came back within normal range.

Is this normal on Citalopram? Does it go away?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,didn't want you to feel ignored so am answering even though I haven't experienced what you have.

I think there have been posters who have had similar experiences with Citalopram and hopefully one of them will come along to answer soon.

The only bit of advice I can think of is to try and have high fibre healthy foods available which may help you feel fuller for longer.Also have nuts,not salted peanuts,available as snacks and lots of fruit and vegetables too.Hopefully this will limit the damage of over eating and help give you increased energy as a bonus.

I started to feel the benefits of Citalopram at about the 6 week stage and hopefully things will start to settle down for you then too.

Good luck,

Rose D xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I went to the doctor about this on Friday, and we have agreed to reduce my dose to 10mg for a week, and to take the tablet in the evening rather than in the morning. I have been doing this now for 3 days and it appears to have made a big difference. I will be going back up to 20mg in a week after my body has gotten used to taking it in the evening.
  • Posted

I'm so pleased you seem to have found a solution to your problem.Thank you for coming back on to let us know.Rose D xxx
  • Posted

I have had the opposite effect. I can fast for days but I must eat which I do in the evening. I can smell food and think that's tasty and I do not want to eat it. Also I'm more fussy, if I'm not keen on a meal then I won't eat it. So pasta is out, unless spag bol or lasgne. Small portions and lots of coffee or redbull.

I can feel my stomach rumbling and feeling hungry but I don't want to eat and will sit through it until evening. I'm overweight so there is a few weeks to go before it is a concern but I am aware of my lack of interest in food. I just don't enjoy it.

• Posted

I thought I might give you some help with your question. I have been taking 20mg of Citalopram for approximately 4yrs and I have put on 2 stone in weight but when I follow a proper diet ie Slimming World I lose the weight very well and as soon as I decide to have a little chocolate or a little something nice the weight piles on big time and very very quickly, it has to have something to do with the tablets but it depends what you want.....happy life versus the body beautiful. I will take the happiness or the stability any time over a beautiful body but I am now trying to wean off Citalopram shaving a little off every week and I will try and let you know how the hunger factor decreases or stays the same smile Try drinking water as well because apparently those hunger feelings are NOT for chocoloate or bread ohhhhh no they are for WATER lol ... good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.