Intense jaw pain and toothache. Please help! TMD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

I have been in increasing pain in my jaw, teeth and gums for about 2 weeks. I have a history of bruxism but never been this bad. I am taking constant paracetamols.

I cannot get into see the dentist because of the covid situation but have spoken to them over the phone. Dentist think that looking at my history it is TMD / TMJ.

I've been reading about it but none of the techniques seem to be helping. Can anyone reccomend what to do? Eating and drinking is painful and I'm sure there is some damage to my teeth at this point.

Any recommendations are welcome at this point.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

a night guard will help stop you from grinding while you sleep also try an ice pack or heat pad to relax the jaw the less you grind the better your jaw will be

• Posted

Do try to get to an oral surgeon as soon as you can so they can take xrays. That will show definitively if you have TMD (which it does sound like) (since presumably you don't have tooth decay or injury). A guard could then be custom made for you to protect your teeth while you heal -- it may not work for you long-term, but at least give your joints some time to recover. You'd probably also be given anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants. In the meantime though, avoid hard foods and too much chewing.

Oh, I just realised you posted this months ago -- hope you are feeling better now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.