Interesting conversation with therapist

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a conversation with my therapist yesterday about "when will i feel like the old me again?" And she put a very different spin on it for me... The old me hadn't had all the experiences the present me has had which has made me the person i have become, so even when i am well again, i will never be the old me again, i have to become "the new me" now....i like this and i feel i can stop worrying about getting that back now and work on the future me i am becomming

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Fantastic advise, I always say there is a gem at the end of it all for me it's learning more about myself and my condition. 

I have a pre disposition to anxiety and deoression and relapses I've had have all been my responsibility, not taking meds, drinking too much, yet each time I recover quicker and stronger. You do become a new improved person! You have a good therapist there Tracie. 

• Posted

She is very lovely indeed! I liked her from week one and i have done 3 sessions so far, got 5 more. It's really helping, makes you look at things differently, which is i believe the goal of CBT
  • Posted

Your therapist sounds really nice and it is so important you get on with her.  She is right because we are constantly changing.  I used to think like you that I wanted to be the old me, in fact I thought the old me was nicer.  You are doing really well, and how wonderful that you can now stop worrying about getting back to how you were and embrace who you are now.  sound advice
    • Posted

Thank you Anne... I am very determined to get well again, but have stopped wishing i could go back to the old me... I believe having a positive attitude no matter what happens is key to recovery, even though that is not always easy to maintain at times x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.