Intermediate mid-range monofocal IOL

Posted , 8 users are following.

I will be getting cataract surgery on my left eye later this week. My doctor and I settled on an intermediate range monofocal lens. I would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with a mid-range IOL. I also understand that I won't be getting new prescription glasses for another month, so I wonder what I should do about driving. I drive for work and I would prefer to drive with two eyes rather than one since my other eye is not perfect either. I was thinking of ordering some cheap temporary distance glasses but I have no idea what prescription I should get for that eye. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You'll have to wait a few days and ask your dr to check vision. 

For me the delta in Rx was big enough between surgery eye and non surgery eye, that I saw double vision with glasses.  So I choose to see with one eye and no glasses.  Ask you Dr re estimated differential.  

• Posted

Why are you getting your monofocal set for intermediate? I have mine set for distance and hardly ever need to wear glasses except for extended reading and extremely tiny print.
  • Posted

The monofocal lens I got about 4 months ago is -1.25D, which I guess is somewhat of an intermediate Rx.  I was aiming or intermediate/near but it ended up a little better and I am super happy with the results.  The upside of a mid-range monofocal is being able to get by about 80% of the time without glasses.  It is good enough to read, and there are only rare occasions when I can't read really tiny print.  Computer work and other intermediate vision is excellent.. The downside is that things at a distance are little blurry, which is no problem for me since I was used to being a little nearsighted, and I don't find that situations requiring good distance vision are as urgent as reading, seeing my phone, etc.  I wear Rx glasses  (often sunglasses) for driving, outdoor sports, meetings, and movies, etc.  I think another potential downside is that you might end up needing glasses for very far and very near.  Nina 234, I think most people that get corrected with a monofocal for distance will end up needing readers, though some do luck out as you did.   As far as driving goes, I would be totally comfortable driving locally during the day in a pinch, but the legal cutoff is closer to -.75D so nighttime and long-distances could be risky.  There are certain re-make periods for Rx glasses (check in your area with your optical store) so you could get a pair made early, then have that one lens exchanged if your vision changes within the remake period (60-90 days).  Every IOL option involves some potential compromise. For me the compromise with an intermediate IOL has been a good one.  Best of luck.

• Posted

I would rethink the monofocal lens......I know that the multifocals are about $2500 each, but they are amazing...

I say that because my right eye has the 3 concentric circle lens (it took 4 months to totally adjust) but Wow - I have 20/20 vision in that eye now and it was 20-480 beforehand.....

Ten months ago I had the Symfony Lens put in the left eye (my dominant eye) and I still cannot see clearly - not sure why as yet, but I'm still hopeful.....my billiards game has gone to hell and I cannot wing shoot for the 1st time in my life, but I'm still hopeful...

As for driving, well I have scared both front fenders & the hood since putting in this last lens......pulled under a mailbox on one side and under a menu box at Sonic on the other side..I haven't hit anybody, but depth perception is definitely affected.......

• Posted

nina234, I chose intermediate because I would be upset if I could not read something at arm's length without glasses. I already wear driving glasses and reading glasses. I will be getting surgery on the other eye soon and will have to decide what kind of lens I want in that eye. Maybe a multifocal? It is difficult to figure these things out.

• Posted

vic64836 - I found a study that showed only 5% of people with monofocals set for distance need glasses at arm's length. I'm one of the 95% of people with monofocals set for distance who don't need glasses at arm's length. Anyway, you sound convinced that you should do something other than that and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, so good luck to you.

• Posted

I also guess you didn't search this forum for information, since I have posted repeatedly here in the recent past about my results with standard non-toric monofocals set for distance and how I hardly ever need to wear glasses for reading and never need to wear glasses for intermediate distances of 2 to 5 feet (NEVER EVER - and the day after my first cataract surgery I was able to see my car's speedometer perfectly without glasses when I drove myself to my doctor's office). I also found more than one study that showed only 5 out of 100 people that get monofocals set for distance need to wear glasses for distances of 2 to 5 feet. That leaves 95 out of 100 people who don't need to wear glasses at intermediate distances of 2 to 5 feet after getting monofocals set for distance.

• Posted

Yes on Nina comments.  I have single vision distant lens put in both eyes and I must wear readers for 1-7 feet.  Ia am a 5%er.  It all depends on your Rx.  My myopia was -5.0 and Dr put in 13 cataract lens.  It was to strong so I'm dealing with over correction now. However near distance I must wear +2.0 to +2.5 readers.  I even have a pair of +4.0 to see splinters up close.  

• Posted

I did have the surgery three days ago with a monofocal lens with the distance set for arm's length, which was a 19.5D lens. I am very satisfied with the result. I work on a computer all day and do not need any glasses for the eye that had the surgery, so I just punched out the lens from my old glasses. I can cook, watch TV, and read at less than arm's length with no problem. I can see very small print, like ingredients lists on food boxes, at about 12" away. Far distance is a bit blurry but not enough to bother me. I used to wear driving glasses anyway, so I ordered some cheapo glasses at 1.25D for distance, and some reading glasses with an ADD of 1.25 (suggested by the doctor) for reading books. In the meantime, the old driving glasses work. My doctor suggested that when I get the second eye done I get a lens set for distance. He said he himself has one eye set for intermediate and one for distance and it works well for him. Like everyone, I was surprised how bright and sharp objects and colors are now. So far I have no halos at night or other side effects.

Nina, it is not that easy to search this forum, and even if I had known the 95% figure, I would have been afraid that I would be one of the 5% who do not end up with good intermediate vision. I appreciate the advice. 

• Posted

Congratulations on getting your target for your left eye right away! Some of us had to wait a month or so for the eye's vision to get stable near the target.

Sounds like your target was about -1.25D?  You might have gotten a little more than that if you are reading very small print at 12" so you may not need reading glasses if your eye stays there? Is that your non-dominant eye? Do you have little or no residual astigmatism?

• Posted

Yes, the target was -1.25D. I did not have astigmatism. I think I will be more comfortable with reading glasses for extended reading but I am glad I can make out fine print without them. It is my non-dominant eye. 
    • Posted

Congratulations on getting the desired (by you) results. It is always good when the surgeon picks the correct power of the lens.

It is also good that your surgeon did not push for the best focus at distance and aimed for your desired intermediate distance.

Regarding the glasses for driving, there is no reason that you cannot get those in about one week (hopefully, they will be checking your eye at that time. I did that fully knowing that the prescription will change slightly in another month. Even if you spend about $100 or less for better vision for only a month, that may be worth it. Of course, you have to make that decision for yourself.

On the other hand, you should definitely try driving with a prescription glass in only one eye. So long as the prescription for that eye is relatively small (say, better than about -1.25 D), you will probably be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.