Interpreting thyroid ultrasound

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 20 year old female. I went to my doctor because i've been experiencing fatigue and hair loss. Upon examining my thyroid, she thought it was on the bigger side so she ordered a thyroid ultrasound. I just picked them up and it says the right lobe is 4.9x.9x1.6 cm and the left lobe is 5.2x.9x1.5 cm. The isthmus is 1.7mm. It also says my thyroid has a coarsened echotexture throughout without focal nodules. I looked online and those numbers look normalish to me (i think), but I can't find anything about a coarsened echo texture anywhere. Please help!

Also, sorry if i'm posting in the wrong section I'm new here :-)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren

Yes, you're right about the normal dimensions of your thyroid.  I pulled this up as well:

The thyroid gland is an H-shaped organ composed of two lobes joined by a narrow isthmus located just below the laryngeal cartilages. The normal thyroid weighs approximately 15 to 25 g, with each lobe 4 to 6 cm in length and 1.3 to 1.8 cm in thickness. The isthmus measures less than 4 to 5 mm.

The coarse means your thyroid is not smooth. I think it could happen in a case of thyroiditis. I'm looking further for causes but wanted to say hi and welcome to the board. 

Hang in there. Try not to worry.  Others will come along soon with info as well.

hugs

Jaye xo

• Posted

Lauren

Do you have blood work readings you could post? Did they give you any idea of a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism? If you can post blood level ranges and your levels it would be helpful.  Do you have any symptoms other than fatigue and hair loss?  

• Posted

University of Virginia medical journal 

Hashimoto thyroiditis is a common autoimmune disease in which patients, predominantly women, develop antibodies to thyroglobulin and the thyroid peroxidase enzyme. They present with painless enlarged thyroid usually in a hypothyroid state. 

It causes a characteristic sonographic pattern of diffusely coarse echotexture. 

Hashimoto can cause fatigue and hair loss. Did your doc mention this?  Your blood results will help determine diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.