Intrusive Thoughts

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went on citalopram In July 2015 for intrusive thoughts towards myself and very bad anxiety that I've had for the past 3/4 years. The anxiety I've always dealt with the intrusive thoughts just started a few months back. I lost a few friends to drug OD and Suicide with in the past couple years. My anxiety got so bad I started having depression as well. Back in July I started 10mg Citalopram (Celexa). It worked, I started loosing some of the self harm thoughts. Then they came back so I had my meds upped to 20mg. I see a Therapist 1/2 a month. I work all the time. I've been on the 20mg for like two months now.... Now it seems like these crazy thoughts are coming back again. I don't know if it has to do with my period coming ( I think it is soon). But it's getting really annoying. I don't know what else to do for these thoughts. They bother me. I don't want to keep upping my dosage though because I don't even like being on medication to begin with. I take multivitamins, I try to take care of myself. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else gone through this and made it out at some point? I'm only 23, I should not be going through this. Life's been real good to me lately.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

By the way- I am one of the sweetest most caring person ever. I would never harm myself or anyone else.

• Posted

Hi Kayla22069

Intrusive thoughts are symptoms of depression and anxiety. What you need to do is distract yourself away from this thoughts. Try doing something recreational like painting, singing, dancing, or sports and exercise.

I know hoe you feel about the medications, I also don't like it but sometimes they are necessary, the best thing you can do is add some additional treatments along with the medication. Treatments like counseling, group discussions, meditation, proper diet, and proper sleeping pattern. These things will allow the medicines to work more efficiently. Increasing the dosage is futile unless backed up with the right lifestyle.

Just constantly work with your clinician. You can try CBT to develop a stronger mindset, it might eliminate the intrusive thoughts. I hope you get well soon. Good Luck.

• Posted

first off what is a cbt?? I've heard many people talk about it. Also, thank you so much. I try to keep my mind occupied when it's happening. It just always strikes at the most horrible times.

• Posted

Hello Kayla22069,

Thank you for asking.

CBT is the abbreviation for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, it is a form of psychotherapy used for treating many mental health disorders. It helps you manage problems by changing the way you think and behave. It's a method that promotes positive thinking to improve the way you feel.

It doesn't actually cure the problem but it helps in coping and dealing with your problems, which can be very beneficial in treatment. I hope this helps. If you have anymore question don't hesitate to ask. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.