Intrusive Thoughts + Anxiety attacks telling me the world isn't real

Posted , 4 users are following.

This story involves use of cannabis, which is illegal in some states. If this bothers you then please ignore me, I understand.

Prepare for a long post.

I only have one kidney, It was removed when I was a child. Because of that, and my mother, I never received treatment for my depression or anxiety as a child. I've been suffering from them both since puberty, at least. I always considered my depression worse and never really had anxiety attacks until recently.

A few months ago I decided to start trying to use cannabis as a way to treat my depression. The results were mixed, so I probably should have stopped, but my friends and partner do it daily, so I decided to keep doing it.

One night, my partner, his brother and my cousin were all sitting around watching Tenacious D And The Pick of Destiny, I thought, why not? During the opening scene of the movie, there's a six pointed star spinning in the background the entire time. Now, I don't consider myself a religious person, but I am open to many different possibilities. I never claim to know something 100%. But, I was raised Seventh Day Adventist.

I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point during the movie I got the thought that I would be stuck in a loop for eternity. It was something like

Realize I'm stuck in the loop -> Panic -> Try to rationalize with myself -> Calm down -> Forget -> Realize I'm stuck in an eternal loop -> Start over again.

Eternal torture.

It was at that point that I started saying “Oh my god.” Then I started yelling it. Then I started screaming it, over and over and over again, until i guess I passed out. I could feel my partner touching me sometimes, and i could hear him praying, but as far as I was concerned, I was gone. Everything was black, I got the impression of movement, but I was convinced I was going to spend eternity like that. “Did I die?” “Am I in a coma?” “Did the world end?” All the time, my brain was still stuck in the loop.

When I came to, I thought I was better. I started to explain to everyone what happened, when it triggered again. My partner took me into my room and I laid in there for hours, stuck in that same loop, convinced that someone or something had done it to me. I asked my partner to kill me. Eventually I fell asleep and came out of my high when I woke up. I was okay for about a week or two.

Until I stupidly decided to smoke again on Monday. It wasn't as bad the second time, but it lasted way longer. I was telling myself the entire time that it wasn't real and that it would get better but I still had my voice in the back of my head telling me that it was real and that I was just in denial. It didn't stop when I woke up. It lasted until yesterday, where I had a panic attack at work and they sent me to the ER.

The ER gave me Xanax, but it turned me into a zombie, and my brain didn't really stop thinking. I fell asleep and when i woke up again, I was convinced that this world wasn't real, that someone was torturing me, that it was eternal. There was no part of me that believed otherwise.

It was shorter that time, I came out of it after about twenty minutes, but during that time all I could think was that I was trapped. I couldn't stop feeling that way and I couldn't kill myself because I think dying is what I felt when I passed out the first time, and that was even more terrifying.

I went to a counselor today but she didn't seem very worried about these delusions. They vary in severity. Sometimes on a daily basis I still think my brain is in the loop, but I can operate. I can think about other things, but when it's bad i still have my voice, or a feeling “reminding” me that this won't end. Sometimes I think I'm okay. And sometimes I think I'm stuck again and that this world isn't real.

My friend has been giving me half milligram klonopin to help me calm down during these panic attacks, but even then, my brain doesn't stop thinking about it, not really.

I've been feeling okay today. I've been thinking about it occasionally, and that feeling of emptiness in my chest has been here off and on. I started to think that I was going to have another panic attack so I took more medicine, but I need help. I'm scared I'm going to convince myself that this world isn't real. Permanently.

My life is finally better, why is this happening to me? I don't want to be thinking these crazy thoughts, I don't want this feeling in my chest to keep coming back. I just want to return to my normal self. I just can't shake the feeling that something about this experience has changed me for the worse. I don't feel like myself anymore.

Will anti-depression and anti-anxiety medicine really help? Will I eventually be able to stop thinking about it for good? Or stop believing that it might be real, at least?

I consider myself a person very grounded in reality. The thought that I might be losing my mind is my worst nightmare. (As I wrote that, my voice told me that that's why this is happening.)

Please, someone tell me that you have experienced the same thing and gotten over it. I think that's the only thing that will reassure me.

Sorry for the long post.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darthdovahkin, 

What you are feeling is called depersonalisation its a symptom of anxiety

Now lets get into the needy and greedy stuff, never ever take drugs again i really mean it! this is a warning sign that you cant handle it. What you are experiencing is a scary but temporary reaction, when you panic sufficently your brain takes a vacation until you sort yourself out.

Those thoughts are related to OCD if it keeps re occuring, but its okay it can only get better hang in there. I myself have recovered from drug-induced depersonalisation i was in a constant bubble for about 4-6 months eventually it started lifting off and my former self came back.

I suggest taking these:

5-HTP

Wild Fish Oil 1000mg 

B Complex

Iron

Zinc 

Stay away from stimulants and sugar. Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep dont over sleep also it is not good for you when you have anxiety, exercise at least 90 minutes per day 3-4 time p/w, have a balanced out diet avoid carbs.

drink 2-3 cups of chamomile tea per day its relaxing. 

Lastly if you are really struggling you can consider medication, I was on Luvox 100mg for four months.

Psychostein

• Posted

Thank you very much for responding, I appreciate it greatly.

I had already decided not to smoke marijuana ever again, it's obviously not for me, and that's okay.

My mind has calmed down for the most part but I still have a heavy feeling in my chest pretty consistently. I think I start to get freaked out more at night, or when I'm alone. I hate being scared so much now. I hope I can eventually get over it.

I'll be sure to check out some of those vitamins you mentioned, and the chamomile tea is definitely do-able. Even if I'm not too big a fan of tea.

Once again, thanks so much for answering. It's nice to know that even a stranger is willing to help.

• Posted

Hiya I think the above poster is right and to stay away from the drugs i suffererd intrusive thought ocd for years and still so I take sertraline and it does take the edge of most days there is no shame in needing a little help now and then stay strong message me if you want to talk 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.