Intrusive thoughts- please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered instrusive thoughts for years on and off ( I was 5 years free until recently)

They have come back and floored me😖. I can handle (just) the vision ones where I am violet and sexual but recently it seems to be aggressive thoughts. Like when my nephew was crying I thought just die or when it was awful rain I thought hope that lady gets soaked. Others were that I don't want my baby anymore,hope she chokes and me making a sucicide pact.

I am freaking out as these words come from nowhere. I love my family. Nearly every good thought I have is followed by a thought like above. I'm actually scared to think almost.

Please can someone shed light. I feel so alone.

Ps: I take Citalapram -recently changed to 30mg (6 days ago)

Thank you .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there kim I'm sry ur going through such a bad time,I've had intrusive thoughts in the past still have a few now to be honest...All I do is say to myself yeah watever blah blah and don't let them go any further,I know it's hard but u can't let them rule you if u have a thought just say to ur self it's never gonna happen blah blah and so on...Once the meds kick in they will subside and u will be able to manage them...take care.....p.s it may be the increase of the cit
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying Ethan. Do you just acknowledge the thought then move on. I know this is the trick but struggle some times.

I am also worried about becoming obsessional . When I see numbers or colours or anything really I sometimes think what if I can't get that number out my head and then it sticks. Actually going crazy : ( xxxx

• Posted

Morning kim.... yeah just don't think to much of it just say to ur self yeah ok now move on and think happy thoughts, if u think of becoming obsessional well that's just another thought to worry about u need to break the cycle....do crossword puzzles to occupy ya mind worked for me...listen to music on headphones also worked for me...take care and get well soon
    • Posted

Defo Ethan. Trying to just notice the obsession and move one . Struggling tho sad
  • Posted

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about what you're experiencing. Obsessive and intrusive thoughts are the worst, and the more they happen the more we convince ourselves that these are valid thoughts, when they are actuall not. Just remember that the negative thoughts are not the real you, and once you get better the thoughts will subside.

My psychotherapist told me that OCD is usually a by-product of anxiety. The Cit is supposed to be effective in treating not only anxiety, but also OCD. 30mg is a pretty standard dose, but there are people known to be be on 40 mg.

What I find usually helps with the OCD is some sort of outdoors activity (even if it's just stepping out of the house), or exercise. Try keeping your mind active and constantly stimulated, inactivity leads us to dwell on our thoughts and the more we dwell the worse they become.

All the best to you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply funkdakarma. Just really struggling at the mo so your reply is much needed and appreciated xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.