Intrusive throughouts

Posted , 7 users are following.

So on and off during the duration of my life I've experienced awful intrusive thoughts , usually targeting the people and things I love and care about the Most. My intrusive thoughts seem to come and go . Some days I feel ok and out of the blue randomly I'll think of a sad intrusive thought that will completely sabotage my day or my week . Just when I seem to be feeling better .... "BAM" I get that overwhelming feeling of doubt . I over think and over analyze situations that happened years ago and I can't seem to help doing that . Im paranoid about uncertainty in my life and if I think about the situations that have happened in my life it often leads to panic attacks , worry , doubt and and overwhelming feeling of abandonment . I don't have many people who can understand these feelings so I'm Looking to hear what people have to say , I'm wondering if other people are going through the same situation and what they do to overcome this long overwhelming battle.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well Id first go see a doctor or some professional help it's the best thing you can do. I was having a bad day today I had a panic attack but you have to remember it's all in your head l. I feel paranoid and sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy but you have to remember it's just anxiety. The people in your life love and care for you. I can only help so much by telling you. You're not alone you will get better!

• Posted

Oh my, it is amazing, kinda. I was never able to really explain it but what you are going through is very similar to what happens to me alot. Like it could be doing just fine then suddenly I remember something I said or did in the past and how that could have effected a friendship or something.
  • Posted

I get intrusive thoughts too. Usually about loved ones and the thoughts are always very upsetting. The best thing you can do is try not give it your attention. Try and let the thought flow past. The more you dwell on it, the more you panic and the more power you give it to continue upsetting you.

It's a lot of hard work but it will become easier with lots of practice. Literally everyone gets intrusive thoughts, even people who are mentally fine. Its just that those people don't have the anxiety disorder behind it all to pick the thought apart and dwell on it.

Just remind yourself it's normal, it can't harm you and the thoughts don't define you at all. In fact intrusive thoughts are usually the polar opposite of who we are. Just keep practicing watching the thoughts and trying to let them go.

• Posted

3Aquin said it best, you have to let them pass through, don't ignore them though. Let yourself be aware they are there and quietly let them pass. I'm dealing with intrusive thoughts as well and they scare the crap out of me. I'm learning through anxiety and intrusive thought meditation how to let them go, but I'm also on meds. We are not our thoughts. When we are in an anxiety state, we tend to pick them apart and analyze them until we think we're going crazy. You're not alone in this and you'd probably be surprised how many have those thoughts and are just to scared to talk about them.

• Posted

Hi there!

I completely agree with what everyone else says, the intrusive thoughts don't define you, the human brain is so incredibe it's capable of so much! But it's not perfect, just like anything in life no matter how incredible it is it's going to have its hiccups or quirks , like these amazing little computers in our hands that involuntarily shut off and restart all on there own haha everything is going to have a hiccup, even our brains...so just like everyone says, best not to pay much attention to that thought, don't give it anymore power, its completely normal.

• Posted

you are not alone Anne I too have had these feelings for years and there will be many on here who have had too. The brain is a very powerful tool and can be destructive at times seeking help is the first step my love it is a battle and one that total exhausts you from time to time. as others have said on here meditation is good and when you have thoughts about family and friends turn it around as soon as it comes into a positive. I always worry about my family and what will happen to them then i go through the scenes as if something will how do i cope? I think this is a safety mechanism because if I think like this and worry then nothing will happen. a couple of months ago I was at the airport and was convinced we were going to be attacked because all the security had shut down and it was being sabotaged!!! I look back now and realise how irrational it was but that is our brain for you I have been since and been ok. with the right help and medication should you chose to take it you will get through this there are also alternative therapies that can help too CBT is one that im going through at the moment. I dont know if you are strong enough at the moment but when you get a negative thought turn it in to a positive one it took me a while and im still trying but its getting easier

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.