IPFR for prolapse repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm waiting to see if the IPFR made on my behalf has been successful or not to treat POP. There is only one surgeon in the UK who can treat me and because he's in england and I'm in wales they have to apply for funding. There's a very real chance they won't approve funding which means we will have to find the money ourselves. Anyone been in this position?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hope you don't mind me asking nicmorg, but why is there only one surgeon who can treat you?  What are you having done?
  • Posted

Funding for another trust in a patients own area is hard enough but funding a patient from Wales to England is almost unheard of because of the financial implications as you probably know. I do know someone who was in your situation and was unfortunately refused. If your application can wait until the beginning of the financial year, April then you'll have more success.
  • Posted

I have been waiting for 2 and a half years this time round so really would rather not wait any longer. It has taken since June just to get to panel sad I have a long history of gynae problems going back to when I had my first son 11 years ago. I had to have lots of reconstructive surgeries and also had a ventral mesh rectopexy 6 years ago which now needs to be repeated. It's this one that causes the problems. The mesh that was used has to be removed but had embedded over 6 years meaning it's a very tricky job. I also have to have posterior repair and possible hysterectomy at the same time. This doesn't bother me as I have been sterilised and don't want any more children now. My body couldn't cope with the strain of another pregnancy anyway. I'm 31 but feel about 80!! My consultant here said the only chap who can do it is anthony dixon, his words were 'if he won't do it, you won't find a surgeon who will go anywhere near you'!! This is why he put in the IPFR. I always thought it was one NHS but this couldn't be further from the truth! I'm so desperate to know what they have decided but apparently even though it went to panel last week they have asked for more information and it's 'being processed' whatever that means!! It's all just so frustrating!! What happened to the lady you knew of matron? Xx
    • Posted

That's a very strange question nicmorg. What do you mean asking if people knew me?
    • Posted

Think you have misunderstood me matron. I just wondered if the lady you knew who was refused treatment, was able to appeal the decision or if you knew what happens if the outcome is not a favourable one. I haven't found anyone else in this situation so I don't know what happens next as j have nothing g to compare to.
    • Posted

Oh so sorry nicmorg I misread that, apologies. I don't know what happened after the funding was turned down but reading about your problems hers just pale into insignificance. I have heard of Mr Dixon he is well known amongst medical and nursing staff who work in gynaecology. I think it would be a pretty heartless panel that would refuse the funding.
    • Posted

I think so too but to my understanding they don't get the background info, just the hard facts. I'm really trying to be optimistic here but it's so frustrating getting passed from pillar to post and whoever I manage to speak to having no idea what I'm talking about!! The directorate of general surgery made the application yet when I spoke to them today they couldn't tell me a thing as they 'aren't familiar with the process'!!
    • Posted

That is disgraceful nic no wonder you're so concerned. I just hope it goes the right way for you.
    • Posted

Thank you, I figure I will ring them every day and they will get very fed up of me very quickly! !
    • Posted

Oh Nicmorg, this is horrendous for you!  I'm SO sorry to read this!  It's not fair leaving you like this and you are young too.  I very much hope you can get this sorted quickly because it shouldn't be on your shoulders to do this!  It makes me angry that you've been left in the lurch like this!  Do feel free to vent on here - there are a lot of supportive shoulders:-)  Please keep us updated too.  We'll be thinking of you.
  • Posted

Hi, I also live in Wales, and used to be able to po over the border, but no longer. But the board did approve me for dental treatment in England, after requesting further info. Good luck. If you don't get funding, and I really hope you do, maybe you could try the petition website - change .org . I think we should have the right to the best treatment in the UK, even if we do live in Wales. 
    • Posted

You're right Wishing. We are a United Kingdom 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.