Iron tablets and citalopram?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody takes iron tablets and citalopram. Im anaemic and ive rang my doctor 3 times to see if i can take iron tablets with the citalopram but he hasnt gotten back to me so not sure if they interfere. I know iron tablets interfere with sertraline. Any help would be muchly appriciated 

Thank you

Bethanie x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi bethanie,

I'm on 30mg/day Citalopram and take iron tablets because of low ferritin levels and have no problems.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I shall start having them again then, i think its making me more tired without them and ive been blaming the citalopram 

• Posted

Its fine to take iron and citalopram.

The citalopram does make you really drowsy though. Do you take it at night? I switched to night and it really helped.

I also recently got an iron infusion (if you struggle with ongoing low iron I would look into this)

• Posted

Hi, thanks for this, ive always taken mine at night im always fighting to stay awake about half an hour after i take them. Ill definitely look into it thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.