Irony of Menopause

Posted , 9 users are following.

My friend was diagnosed yesterday with stage III cancer which was discovered almost by accident. She was virtually asymptomatic. It was devastating news for her and her family. I, on the other hand, have been trying to cope with numerous symptoms associated with menopause - all of which I’m told are ‘normal’ yet are leaving me feeling unable to get through my day. Anxiety and panic attacks, heart palpitations, dizziness, lightheaded, constant ear & sinus pressure (no ear infection), body aches, plus the usual hot flashes. So menopause just makes us feel like we’re dying I suppose? I feel guilty for feeling this way over a normal human right of passage. My doctor wants me to take Lexapro but something keeps telling me not to do it. The worst symptom has to be the panic attacks. I feel like I should be able to get through these episodes on my own or maybe take medication that would help in the moment...rather than an antidepressant that I’d take daily. Feels like using a chain saw to cut butter so to speak! Just venting! 

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey

Try exercising it has worked wonders for me. Symptoms are still there but i’ M dealing with them better- touch wood. 😊

• Posted

Hi Teri

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, I know what you mean though in theory news like that should help to put things into perspective but it doesnt work that well when it feels debilitating. I had decided that once my hormones balanced with bhrt, that I would just take medication for any residual anxiety.... Just had enough of it. In the past I have had 2mg of diazepan to manage anxiety, in the moment and that's worked well for me. Anyway, 2 weeks ago my doc prescribed a low dose of amitriptyline which she thought would better manage the anxiety..... I lasted 6 days on it, I was far far worse than before. I stopped taking it, and I don't think I'll be going back to anything similar tbh. It is like a hammer to crack a nut when you just need something to help in a dodgy moment. Hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi Teri I had terrible anxiety, panic attacks and heart palpitations . It seems you get to a certain age in your life and your body cries out for minerals and vitamins . I was low in magnesium, iron and B12 I had to pay for a private blood check and after 3 weeks my anxiety lowered and no panic attacks and palpitations only now and again . You can only try this I was desperate as was at my wits end and like you I felt like I was dying 💕

• Posted

I have often wondered about magnesium bc I am on a PPI for reflux. I heard that can deplete your magnesium. I take 250mgs a day, but I’ve not been tested. Maybe time to do that. Thank you! 
    • Posted

Yes definitely check all this ferritin , folate B12 and magnesium . My iron was in my boots but I also have coeliac and Hashimotos ( underactive thyroid ) . I make myself golden paste, google it . It’s made from tumeric good for you gut for inflammatory conditions especially if you have a leaky gut and don’t or not absorbing your vitamins and minerals . I have had to research all for myself as my doctor is next to useless . 💕

• Posted

I just had a physical and my iron was pretty low. B12 is good. I have a friend who’s a chiropractor and he works with an independent lab. He’ll order the magnesium and vitamin D tests for me, maybe a thyroid panel too. Thanks for the suggestion! 
  • Posted

I totally feel your pain.  I went in for blood work because I was feeling so bad, and  she did a total body panel.

A month later I get a call from her assistant that I have some autoimmune 

disorder and I need to see a rheumatologist.   And that I was also in full menopause.  I have been doing a lot of research and when you are going through full blown menopause your hormones are so out of wack that anything can happen.  One thing I noticed was when I would have a hot flash all the nerves in my body would feel sensitive.  I thought god am I dying or what!!!!   Heart palpitations, head aches, dizziness you name it.  I decided I was not going to let this get me.  I made the appt with a really good rheumatologist and I can’t get in until July 18.   I started doing research on autoimmune disease and most of it is caused by the environment, so I spoke with my Pilates teacher, (which I believe highly doing through menopause) and she started talking about food.  I ordered Dr. Mark Hymans book what in the heck do I eat on amazon.  Basically if god didn’t make it I don’t eat it.  This is my 5th day on the program and I feel better.   Headaches aren’t as bad for sure.  Giving up sugar  for a while is very hard, but it really helps!  And after a week you don’t really crave sugar at all.  

I am definitely not 100 percent, but I am feeling a little better.  It takes time, but I definitely think it will help with menopausal symptoms.  It’s something to think about.  There are so many preservatives, etc, in our food.  It’s 

Definitely not helping us at all.

• Posted

I agree! Food is medicine and I do try to eat organic as much as possible. I have cut way back on sugar, caffeine, alcohol - not that I was ever a heavy drinker. The one thing I really have to improve is exercise. 
  • Posted

Hiya teri... You made me giggle with the chain saw.. Lol... So true... I was up late night with awful sinus pressure too.. Pounding head and migrain.. And I've had all the other stuff but the dodgy tummy.. The worst... Hang tight as you ain't alone... It's awful to say the least... But made me giggle a little re chain saw.. All the nervous energy but feeling exsauted... God help us 🙏 bless us all... ck

• Posted

I took lexapro  for 3 days couldn’t do it it was awful for me and yes suffered with anxiety and panic for over 10 years . Have you tried EMDR ? I’m trying that right now as so desperate and sick of thinking about panic . Limits your life . 
  • Posted

Try taking herbal remedies, I started taking Evening Prim rose, and Macha supplements also low in Iron which is why my breast hurt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.