Irritable Bowel Syndrome C / D and Gut Bacteria : A Cure ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter has been suffering from IBS during this year and after having her tested for almost every known malady with the doctors saying she is perfectly normal and that there is nothing wrong with her, in the early part of this year she was screaming in agony, night and day in pain. Medication for gastric reflux along with painkillers (which didnt work) and amitriptyline were prescribed. Thereafter, we saw a gastroenterologist, she had an endoscopy and gastroscopy - nothing wrong was found. Next, a dietitian saw her and suggested the FodMap diet which achieved some respite for her from the pain but she is still experiencing 70% pain compared to the start of the year. Recently, we here in Australia saw a programme in the science segment of the Australian Broadcasting Commission (equiv of the BBC) called Catalyst which described contemporary research carried out in Aus and which was first publicised back in 2012 (or maybe even earlier). In essence, it was discovered that many digestive / stomach disorders such as ulcerative colitis for example, could be cured by a process involving faecal transfusion of normal 'good' bacteria from a healthy gut. This process has achieved some success. Repugnant as it sounds (!), I'm sure that if you've been suffering pain to the extent my daughter has - which is daily and continuous - you would try almost anything. I'm also not suggesting that it could be a cure for IBS but there appears to be a link between having sufficient good gut bacteria and eliminating at least some of the problems associated with IBS. You can read the programme transcript on the ABC website at abc.net.au/catalyst - there are 2 separate programmes called "Gut Reaction". There are also posts by many IBS sufferers, some of whom attest to the usefulness of probiotics. I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences, comments, research re the above - serious comments only, please biggrin

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Peter for this information, I for one will check out the link with interest.  I am sorry to hear of your daughters IBS problems sad . My own IBS is very different to hers (mine is not gastric, probably colon). I have experienced good results since eating live yoghurts, but as I understand from the small amount of research I have done, taking probiotics orally is not a cure as such, rather they just 'help on the way through' so to speak as the bacteria does not colonise the gut and the levels of bacteria that reach the gut live anyway is questionable. With that in mind the research findings in Aus certainly seem on the button. 
  • Posted

she may have food allergies such as to gluten, all cereals including wheat, and dairy. the paleo diet offers a methodology for dealing with that and a non dairy probiotic regime...kefir...coconut products...fermented vegetables....miso.     But avoid corn, soy, and oher GMO foods...before considering a faecal transfer perhaps? 
  • Posted

Hi peter i am sorry to hear about ur daughter problem! I ve been there u know but i researched and found the answer!!! I am 100% cured!!! I followed a person called maurice and he or she are on this thread!!! What they prescribed was great and helped me a lot !!!! I will get bak to send u her cure!!! I tell u the secret is in L GLUTAMINE which is very important along with a diet based only on proteins meat chicken and fish !! Stay away from bread wheat pasta raw vegetBles and all fruits except bananas !!! Take probiotics not less than 50 billion!! Take enzymes !!! Finally i killed bad bactrria by chewing on cloves!!! It is sooo good better than antibiotics!!! I am cured and so will ur daughter !! Trust me!!
    • Posted

That's terrific ! Many thanks for your tips - I had seen Maurice's comments earlier and its very encouraging to see that someone else has also tried L-Glutamine and had success with it. One of Maurice's weblinks refers to research being done at the University of Texas into L-glutamine so there is some indication that the docs could at last also be onto something. Also here in Australia, they are researching probiotics VSL3 for kids, probably because of the favourable reports. Could I ask are you still having to take L-glutamine every day or have you stopped ? Once again, great to hear your good news and that something works !
    • Posted

Hi Peter,

I was just wondering if your daughter has improved since your last post. I have had the same symptons for over 3 months and they did not find anything wrong, after colonoscopies, endoscopies, ecographies, everything. I am started to get kind of frustrated, so just wanted to know whether you had found any improvements that you could share. Thanks in advance!

• Posted

Hi there, 

please tell me how did you get cured?? 

How much of this l glutamine were you tweaking and for how long?? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.