Is 20 mg enough?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all this is my first post here, feel slightly nervous! I have been taking citalopram for 4 months now and I noticed a real difference but in the last 3 weeks I've been feeling tearful and unmotivated and today after a bad day in work I was really feeling low, Are these fluctuations normal should I be thinking about upping my dosage or wait until it passes? Thanks in advance for any advice ☺️

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad day at work yesterday.  I would suggest booking an appointment to discuss your concerns with your doctor. I was on 10mg for 2 years, which really benefitted me, as it elevated my mood and decreased my anxiety. During the first 4 weeks i felt really tired and i had headaches, but I gradually adapted to them, and felt much more relaxed and able to cope with everything after then. Good luck !!! smile   
  • Posted

I was on 10mg and they worked great then I felt the anxiety creep back for no reason so my gp increased me to 20mg I've been on the higher dose for 2 weeks just but I'd say after 4 months if u feel anxious for more than a few days book in to speak to the gp after all it may only need adjusted a bit more to suit u 
  • Posted

Hi, I agree that you should discuss with your gp. I have been taking 20mg for 6 months and have recently had my dosage increased to 30mg. I have a stressful job and wasn't coping very well. Hope you feel better soon xx
  • Posted

It's perfectly normal to feel like this.  You'll get mood fluctuations for a while, but the low mood will peter out eventually.  You can can the odd low time months after starting the meds.  During these low times this is when people make the mistake thinking the meds aren't working and get their dose upped.  This just proves the meds are working, and this is just the normal process.  Upping your dose will give you the side effects again and you will go through this same fluctuations again.

Just persevere through the low times, knowing that it'll pass.

Lots of patience and perseverance. 

K xx

• Posted

Forgot to add that these low times can last days or a weeks ..... 

I've taken this meds for 15 years and had mood fluctuations for a long time initially.  It'll even out eventually.

K xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up