Is 40mg better for depression than 30mg?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been on 30mg for 8 weeks mainly for anxiety which has got a lot better but recently...in the last week or so...ive felt quite down and sad. Im not sure if this is depression or not.

My questions are...should i go up to 40mg to see if that helps or should i consider trying another AD.

I was on zopiclone for help with sleep but i think that makes my sadness worse to be honest.

Im also propranolol but i wish to stop that soon as it makes me fatigued and doc thinks its causing my sleep disturbances.

Id appreciate anyones thoughts on why im.on 30mg of an anti depressant but seem more depressed?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neil great that your anxiety has receded. Sometimes it's hard to know when you're taking more than one med what it is that's causing symptoms. If you've been losing sleep that will also contribute massively to how you are feeling. And if you've got ongoing worries and issues that are taking some time to resolve these will play on your mind. How are you finding reducing propranolol? One of the side effects of this drug can be depression and loss of sleep. Have you dropped your dose enough to notice any effects? Best wishes

• Posted

That's great it's improved. Ucan get blips like this from other issues and be very wary about increasing

Every increase brings back all the bad side effects as that's how it works anyway

Increasing is not always the answer believe me

Dirt ur propranolol out first.

I occasionally take one for heightened anxiety. Maybe 7 over 6 months

Get out and about. Exercise meditate.

Butt think carefully about increasing

I am on 20 mg. always have been. Try to stick with it and sort other issues. Take care. Read my posts under success on citalopram

• Posted

I think this is a question only your personal body chemistry can answer.
  • Posted

hello Neil, you could ask your doctor to prescribe you PRAZOSIN instead of propranolol.   prazosin is different in that it will ease your anxiety along with improve your sleep, and may not make you fatigued like propranolol does.

regarding your 30mg citalopram dose, it is difficult to say if you need to change dose or med, because sometimes all the person needs is more time.  some people may take several months to really start to feel better.  alternatively, i can't remember your history but if you have not tried sertraline before, that is an alternative to switch to.  if not, there are several others to try of course.  if you are in a country which prescribes it, perhaps something a little different from the usual ssri's may suit you better - an example being the med called Bupropion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.