Is anxiety a side effect of Citalopram?

Posted , 5 users are following.

started Citalopram on Tuesday, side effects have so far been nausea, loss of appetite and insomnia but the worst one is anxiety. I cannot stop thinking and worrying about what my ex is doing. It's driving me insane. I can't function today at all. The thought of imagining her with someone else is killing me inside. It's horrendous. 

Is is this a side effect that anyone has had?! Or is it just part of the healing process?

thanks,

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe! I also take citalopram for my anxiety! I was on it for about 10 years and decided to take myself off of it by quitting cold turkey (I don't recommend!) The side effects were awful but I decided to go back on it after realizing I do need it! I take 20mg now and in my experience I have never been more anxious when starting it. I'm sure I had other side effects like you were saying but I feel like being on the pill once the side effects disappear is beneficial! I can always tell I am more on edge when I don't take them. But asking your doctor is good advice too smile

• Posted

Hi, please don't worry, all what you are experiencing is normal when starting on an anti depressant and unfortunately it can heighten your anxiety in the beginning and also feel worse but it will pass! I didn't think I would get through the early stages as now I'm benefitting from it! Stick it out as it will pass!!!

• Posted

Thanks Susan. Your words mean a lot.

how long did the anxiety symptoms last with you? I know it varies from person to person but I'm trying to work out the average.

• Posted

I started on 10mg citalopram and then 20mg and with both doses the side effects lasted a few weeks!

Unfortunately I didn't settle on citalopram (doesn't mean you won't tho) but I'm now on escitalopram which I seem better on but like I say give it at least four weeks before you feel better (sometimes before) and go from there!

I know quite a few people on citalopram and it suited them, I'm just sensitive to meds.

Hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

I had to get off of this med because it was making me much more anxious on a daily basis.. Panic attacks slowed, but my daily anxiety heightened so much that I couldn't take it anymore. I'm on buspar now (it's solely for anxiety, will not help depression) but it seems to work ok.. I wouldn't say great anymore like I would've a week or two ago, but oh well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.