is anyone having troubles with thier job due to graves disease?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, I was diagnoised with Graves disease in Feb 2015. I have been noticing that when in the office I am very anxious, however when working from home I am fine. Has anyone else experienced issues with work and our condition? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Yes I became very anxious and found even the things I did well previously were a problem.  I kept up a physical routine to tell myself I was capable.  I walked a lot and swam a lot and did some jogging.  For me it was definitiely a feature.  I felt the tablets contributed to this feeling, 

If you have  been diagnosed and you are seeing someone regularly and you are taking medication, try and tell yourself you are getting it controlled even if you dont feel this way.  

• Posted

Thank you pat. I am really worried about it all. I find that when I am working from home I am so much more relaxed but once I get into the office, the anxiety hits me like a ton of bricks not to mention the excessive sweating on the tube. My company says that they are going to ask my doc what they can do to help me out, but in all honesty, my go doesn't know enough about this stuff and because I put on that smile everyday, no1 really sees the pain I am constantly in or the anxiety I constantly feel. I only got diagnosed in Feb and it has been a tough time coming to terms with it but trying to stay strong as I won't let it get the better of me. It's so nice to speak to someone who understands x
  • Posted

Hi I dont like to say to much as I believe any illness is personal. Each one of us measure different experience depending on lifestyle etc etc It is something to work with through the doctors who will have access to information of the different experiences.  I was on carbimazole, the first few months was trying, to say the least, but after 10 weeks or so it settled, the main thing to accept is something different is going on in your body.  If it has been identified as such, then work with the information you know and will have ie the doctors will measure to see if the med is working, you will have (usually three ) the results of the blood tests, you can see if the figures vary each time.  I read the medication info leaflet after taking for a few weeks ~ it was helpful as it told me about the side effects, which I was experiencing, I believed they would go. I also did a variety of  breathing and yoga exercises and the ones previously mentioned.  I told my doctor what I was doing. As I got into the exercises I began to feel better in myself and had coping strategies for almost everything.  Anxiety was still there but relied on my breathing exercises in particular to tell me things were ok and I was being looked after.  I started sudoku, did a variety of puzzles etc. Dont expect things to happen over night. However you are already taking steps to help yourself by writing on this forum. It is not easy time for you but it a well know condition, my doctor didn't say too much,  it is very much a watch and wait exercise.   take care 
  • Posted

Hello! I have been told more so that I act weird, or moody or not right. The hard thing about this disease, is that others have a better sense of what your mood is, than you do. I am a little hypocritical here, because I dislike taking my medicine because I do not like how I feel on it; but it is really important in order to perform your maximum potential. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.