Is anyone in the world still taking Dosulepin??

Posted , 75 users are following.

HI,

I was wondering if anyone can help me here? I have been taking the tricyclic antidepressant dosulepin for the past 12 years. Last year I started reading stuff on the internet about it causing heart problems for people and that it wasn't being prescribed anymore. My doctor had never mentioned this to me. But I was worried so I went to my doctor to ask if I should change to another newer pill. She said she thought it was a good idea and switched me onto mirtazapine. To cut a long story short my anxiety and depression rocketed and I thought I was going to die so after a month I had no choice but to go back on dosulepin again. I had deteriorated so much that it literally took 4 months before I started to feel in any way well again.

Anyway I have now been back on dosulepin for 5 months and I know that I will have to take it for the rest of my life as it is the only drug that can help me. But I am starting to worry about the fact that NOONE seems to be prescribed it nowadays and everything on the internet seems to relate to how dangerous it is. I am frightened that I am on a drug that might give me a heart attack.

The doctor says I can have an EGC to check my heart but even if it comes back ok I think I will still worry about the fact that I have to take it daily for ever.

Please is there anyone on here that Is on dosulepin or another of the tricyclic's and if so do you have any information on the associated heart risks?

Thank you

Lisa

6 likes, 196 replies

196 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hiya Lisa

sorry never heard of it....i am on mitazapine 30mg and 40mg of propananol for panic and anxity have a word with your phamasist they seem to know more about drugs than most g.p's i've found... if the drug was that unsafe it would of been took off the market or you would of been offered regular heart check up's if there was any doubts about it.....take care x

• Posted

My doctor told me it is dangerous and that it is being taken off the market, but slowly otherwise there would be loads of us going nuts! I have regular check ups and my heart rate is rising, especially in hot weather. I have to stay indoors when it's hot and on advice eat loads of salt, as my blood pressure has dropped a lot. My next appointment with the psychiatrist isn't until 21 June. I'm 67 and once I turned 65 I was passed to the 'older people's' care. Nobody seems to want to treat older folk though. This will be the third change of psychiatrist in two years and every time we have to start again!  It's got to the point on Dosulepin where I can only clean one room and have to rest for half an hour. It's frustrating to say the least. I'm hoping there will be a suitable alternative medication. I completely agree about the pharmacist. My doctor recently put me on a medication which, with Dosulepin, freaked the pharmacist out and she strongly advised me not to take them. Quite scary really. I really wish everyone on Dosulepin the best of luck xx

• Edited

My dad has been taking Dosulepin since he was in his 30's (now 87) with no problems. I took it for 15 years then slowly came off it. Since then I have tried 5 different antidepressants none of which have worked. Now back on dosulipin and fine again.

• Posted

Hi ann49251,

Why did you take Dosulepin and how long did it take to work ?

Thanks for your help

• Posted

Hi ann

I take this for anxiety and depression i took to my bed and stayed there for 3 months.

I tryed many others but this was the only one that worked. Ive been on it over 15 years.

I take 25mg am and 75mg pm

I was on 225mg but ive managed to get it down.

I really think i could not manage with out it now.

I do plan to try an come off the morning dose in the future.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am anxious with low mood and agitated, feeling anti social etc.  Been on mirtazapine three years and got nowhere, now gp has suggested this to try to buck me up.  Would you recommend it against the modern ssris which give me trouble. 
    • Posted

I absolutely would....

Don't hesitate. Life's too short.

Just give them time to work.

• Posted

HI

How did you drop from 225mg Prothiaden to 75mg.

Ive been on 225mg for a long time but ive dropped 75mg and now take 150mg a night.

Its only been just over a week but i was wandering if there is a better way of reducing/coming off the tablets.

My plan without advice is to drop 75mg to 150mg until stable, maybe about 4 weeks.

Then drop a further 75mg from 150mg to 75mg until stable and then drop 25mg at a time (every month) and see if i can come off.

• Posted

Hi,

my advice is to not rush it. Get 25mg tablets and drip 25mg a month.

thanks

• Posted

Hi Bilal

I just did it very slowly over several weeks. Using 25mg capsules.

I just can't seem to get it down any more. At the moment,

I have a lot going on in my life.

I will try again In the future.

I do worry they are not giving them out to new patients any more because of the side effects. My Gp has never given me a blood test. I am going to ask on my next visit.

You always need a back up plan.

I'm not sure if I will always need an antidepressant, If and when i do come off them.

My back up plan is venaflaxin on my Gp's advice.

Good luck.

• Posted

HI Lesley

Its always difficult to come off or cut down when you have a lot going on. ive been on 225mg for years....ive now decided to cut down although its not the best time for me but 225mg makes me feel doped during the day, not alert, weakness, fatigue etc.

i came off Diazepam from 30mg to 10mg few years back so i know i can do it......going through withdrawal symptoms.

i'd be happy to reach 75mg and then reduce slowly.

They dont prescribe it anymore not because of the side effects but because its a very old drug and theres a lot of new alternatives plus younger doctors would prescribe the newer drugs not focusing or knowing much about old drugs which are now hardly prescribed.

Prothiaden took me through some very rough times with depression so im thankfull for that, no regrets but now i dont like the way i feel and decided to at least drop to 75mg and see how i feel.

Every individual is different so it depends how much you can tolerate the withdrawal symptoms when cutting down.

i dont have a back up plan......I hope i dont need one.

ive been on anti depressants since 21, Im now 43.

What is your age, how long have you been on them ?

Thanks for your reply, I thought the forum would be dead....Lol.

• Posted

Hi I'm 51

I've been on them for over 20 years for depression my gp at the time tried 4 others which made me so unwell.

I was really bad for about 3 months.

I have learnt now when I'm low and i try to manage some of it myself, with exercise gardening an me time.

Thanks

Lesley

• Posted

Wow.....Lesley was it a certain event which started it, your depression and anxiety.

• Posted

i seen my psychiatrist yesterday.

She told me to drop 25mg every week, so drop 75mg over 4 weeks.

Just to remind you im on 225mg Dosulepin.

Is that ok you think for minimal withdrawal symptoms.......to drop 25mg a week ?

Thanks for taking out the time to reply to me.

I appreciate it.

• Posted

I dont know what triggered my depression but i made it worse trying to find out why.

House move divorce, my nana died.

I did it slightly slower than that.

25mg every 2 to 3 weeks.

I tried to get a repeat prescription this week an my gp what to see me first.

Watch this space.

Good luck.

Regards

Lesley

• Posted

Thanks, i've already dropped 75mg 2 weeks ago and will wait another 2 weeks before i make a further drop of 25mg.

I'll see how i feel and slow down if necessary.

Thankyou and wishing you well.

Hope you feel better in the future.

if youve never got Vitamin B12 levels checked, get it checked out as mine was very low over 2 years agio and my gp gave me weekly B12 injections. It made a huge difference to my depression, more than any tablets.

Also Folate, Vitamin D, and Iron should be in good range.

Youll bd suprised at how much the above, especially B12 affects your mental health. Low B12 can cause depression.

Thanks again Lesley.

• Edited

I have been taking Dosulpin for 24 years. I've had no side effects my heart seems ok though never had any tests. I take 2 x 25mg every night.

I'm concerned reading about the long term effects of this medication. My daughter has told me she read it can cause dementia. Anyone heard this. I don't think I could come of this medication now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.