is citrolpram an expensive medication?? so confused right now!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi does anyone know is cit an expensive drug. Iv done plenty of research on this med .. I know a few people personally that take it.. yet my pdr says it's a very addictive drug so won't prescribe it ..I have severe depression suffered since a child & then diagnosed with bipolar 3years ago.. moods are stable but depression is far from better.. pls any information will be most grateful. . Thankyou x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

all medicines are expensive due to the expensive research and development programme. However if the companies give the west preferential treatment the costs go down and the medicines are sold en masse by prescription or by billing the patient. But other countries who cannot afford to pay rely on charity to supply vaccinations for example and many medicines are not available so what do they do they forge the medicine and sell it for profit to the public 
    • Posted

Thankyou Richard ..I just feel it's got to be the expense why I'm not having it prescribed.. depends on the area we live in how the money is spent I'm told today that this drug is very addictive that's why I'm not being prescribed it.. yet I was fed zopiclone so easily.. I was also given quetiapine 3years ago.. by my pdr .shortly after i saw a trannee pdr .Id piled on so much weight & have had an eating disorder years earlier . He new this & could see how depressed I was ..he told me I should never of been put on this because of my condition as it will make me bigger & never be able to lose the weight as it makes you have a slow matabilism. .it's the cheaper option. He then changed me to lithium. .Iv been great with that. This pdr today suggested I went back on quetiapine I actually spoke up for a change and said no..I can't be fat forever ..he says every drug makes u put on weight..I said yes but your also able to lose it in time, impossible with quetiapine. quite surprised he was.. 😊

• Posted

The AD you mention can be addictive, i do take them and have been onthem now for quite a few years.

Most AD are addictive and it does take time to wean yourself off them, with my condition I will be on them now for the rest of my life. I had my last medications review last week and they are leaving well alone

BOB

• Posted

Hi bob.. Iv just spent 8-9 months on mirtazapine then onto venlafaxine both made me so ill with side effects..trycylic drug. Iv been off ven for a week was told I'd be starting citrolpram today so more or less cold turkey.. my head feels like a baby's rattle .. I dont no..I just dnt understand at all. I'm bipolar so will also be medicated forever just need to get it right 😕 so u don't need reviews anymore? Youv found a good place with your meds? I'm so desperate too

• Posted

Medications for life is not a good place to be, although we need to ask ourselves if the benefits of the taking outweighs the problems of the condition. I have no option I take them to get through my days and years.

Talk to your GP,i had a review a couple of days ago and the changing was going to be more problems for what it is worth.  I am stuck and to be honest i prefer to be left alone now as I reach sixty six.

My drugs do seem to be working I have been on them now for near on thirty years. My problem is Short Term Memory problems, they did the tests, thank goodness it was not dementia. Although it was a cause of the drugs I need to take, a case of cause and effect comes to mind.

BOB

• Posted

My gp can't do anything..he has to put everything to the phyciatrist 1st. He put citrolpram to him hence the appointment yesterday. .I can't do anything except do what they say yet again & try the new med. Along side the lithium.. short memory loss ..my memory is so bad .. Iv got to the point where I dnt write anything down anymore ..can't have the conversation so what's the point.. I went shopping with mg daughter few weeks back.. I couldn't remember what parking floor we were on or using the lift to get to the shopping area.. I really thought she was taking the p 😕 gosh I'm so glad your tests were positive.. I'm waiting on results of a hair strand test to see if I can help myself.. Iv been on medication for 20 years I do believe it's what has kept me alive .. just need to get it right. 😑

• Posted

With me at my old GP Surgery I was able to negotiate my medications and doses, my condition is pain related and the Pain Clinic had shown me how to manage my own meds.

I took a wobbler before I moved and that brought down the roof on trust and my wife took over my medications and she now knows how much I need to take. She even controls my Opiates and ADs. so now resents my actions.

I took a further wobbler three weeks ago and they came down on me like a tone of bricks, so now I am in the dog house.

With me I have been taking a real tranche of medications and I get tired of any changes so they leave me alone.

Like you if I had not taken the medications I would not have any quality of life. That does not stop me wondering what I would have been like if I had not got this health problem when young. I suppose I cannot run my life like that.

BOB

• Posted

Yer axactly bob that's my thoughts too.. intrusive thoughts began around the age of 9/10 wanted to kill myself so bad but didn't know how.. very difficult trying to strangle myself had thoughts of throwing myself out of a car too.. or using a knife.. these thoughts never would leave ..this is all down to childhood as a teenager I never stopped crying.. taking myself the gp at 13 given pills didn't know what they were. . Didn't take them bt went more ill as time went by.. had no understanding & my family didn't care. I dint get help until I was around 25. But feel now if only some1 early on had helped ..I would of learnt how to deal with it.. I feel to long in the tooth now for therapy to work.. my mind is warped & chocker.. these wobbles set u back so much.. gets harder & harder to get over them.. x

• Posted

i tried several years ago it was close and I would never try again as I am still paying for it. My Wife has to control my medications and when my mood is bad they jump on me from a great height

Take care

BOB 

• Posted

So glad you have a great family to support You, that helps so much in many ways..I wish I had that.. you take care too bob ..enjoyed our chat today, helps so much xx
    • Posted

Hello Sharon

Generally always around, if you want that chat

Keep a hold 

BOB

• Posted

Not expensive. Citalpram or "Celexa". I got off of 8 month's ago after 12 year's with it. It i think did the job for me until I needed other med's that interacted with it and I had to switch to fluoxetine. Fluoxetine interacts also so I'm dealing with that. I found that it was ad cheaper to pay outright vs my copay. Not addictive but definitely needs to be tapered very slow coming off of i found out the hard way.

• Posted

I'm just so baffled. .Iv spoke to so many about this drug.. mostly good stories to apart from the tapering.. I dnt think theres such thing here i came straight off mirt with instructions to do so. & venlafaxine I was on 225 & came down to 75mg for a week..Iv had nothing for a week & feel absolutely rotten ..like my head may just roll off my shoulders .. id never believe such WD. . How are u now?? cant cope at all right now 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.