Is fear stronger when depressed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 18 year old male and I've been depressed for 5 months. It started when my dog died after getting hit by a car. He was my only rock to keep me from getting long and severe periods of depression. I got diagnosed with depression and I've fallen in an up and down rollercoaster of depression for the last 5 months. What feeds my depression is fear, I think anyways. Fears I experienced before I got depressed but back then I could tell myself "Ofcourse thats never going to happen, don't be afraid" and the thought was gone the second it popped in my head. However, now I'm depressed I can't do this anymore. Sometimes I can think straight and I don't have these fears at that moment. But these periods don't last long. I feel like I am in an constant battle with my brain. I just can't think clearly most of the time. My fears haunt me all day long. They feed my depression. I don't want to think about them but that only makes it worse. I don't understand how I could think these fears away so easily before, but now the fear doesn't go away. My brain makes me think that because I have thoughts about these fears, That they are real. And that these fears will become my reality in the future. This causes me to have panic attacks among other things. When I have a very bad episode of depression it feels like it's never ending and I very suicidal during these episodes. Can someone tell me if this is a common symptom of depression? Will I have to live in this state forever? will it pass?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben1239,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

If you are based outside of the UK.

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

• Posted

Hi you don't say whether you are currently on meds and/or having any counselling? x

• Posted

I'm seeing a therapist for about 3 months now but that it hasn't helped that much

• Posted

Well therapy isn't instant and can take quite a while to have much effect. if you think how long it took you to get into this state it makes more sense. Meds are useful to help you feel better in the short term and more able to tackle your issues.

My advice is to keep on with your therapy and be patient. x

• Posted

have ben, have you sought any support anywhere? have you asked for any help at all? have you been tested for ptsd? ask your doctor or whoever you decide to speak to for support or help/both. you may need medication but talk to someone 1st and foremost! good luck.

• Posted

I'm seeing a therapist. But it doesn't really help

• Posted

oh, ask to see someone else, i ditched mine he wouldn't talk about what i needed.

• Posted

Ben, fear is definitely a symptom of depression. When we are depressed a lot of our senses are more active, have you heard of the fight and flight scenario, for example? In situations of acute stress the body releases hormones like adrenaline... That's like getting ready to going to battle with an imaginary army! It equals anxiety.... I guess it was there for our ancestors back in the days when we needed to fight or be killed.... This deep instinct we still carry is very real and frightening though. Equally, the paranoia that some people suffer from - that's the same, primeval response - increased levels of hearing that were once there for hunting purposes are now leading to overthinking. You're not wrong for feeling these things, it's natural. It's uncomfortable, this defence mechanism we've inherited is really outdated but still haunts us! I suffer from it too, and find it fascinating, Try doing some research, if nothing else! And try to identify the EXACT fear.... What are you fearing the most?

Much love xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.