Is it acid reflux?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been feeling like a cold/burning/annoying sensation in my upper stomach all the way to my throat. Some times my throat feel like its irritated (scratched). I also have this constant bad taste and sometimes bad breath despite washing my teeth twice a day!

Went to the GI and he ruled out both acid reflux and H.pylori because he said I wouldn't have the cold feeling.. I'm scheduled for Endoscopy and biopsy. I was almost in tears but doc said that it's nothing too serious!

Can anyone tell me if what i am feeling is actually acid reflux?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Despite what your doctor says, many symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux are similar to symptoms of a cold. (See attached graphic from a survey taken in 2014 of 100 acid reflux sufferers - and read more in the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk.

Reflux may also be the cause of your throat problems, bad taste in the mouth etc.

Your endoscopy will show whether any acid reflux you may or may not have has caused any damage to your oesophagus. (They'll also probably test for H-Pylori at the same time.)

I've suffered from acid reflux problems all my life. It wasn't until I was nearly 50 I discovered that was the cause of my lifetime symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Josh, it's Liz again. Just taking a quick break from watching Liverpool v Man City to reply. I read online today that one of the two scientists who discovered h.pylori back in the 1980s drank a liquid taken from one of his patients to convince the medical world that the bacteria were the cause of gastritis/ulcers etc. His wife complained bitterly about his bad breath at which point he treated himself with antibiotics and recovered. It's just a thought and hopefully they will test you for it, Stay strong. Going for my repeat endoscopy tomorrow. They've brought it forward by my request - seems to be the only advantage to going privately.
    • Posted

I'm so happy for you! I thought you said it was scheduled on the 7th? Either way let me know how it goes and good luck! Xxx

P.s thanks for sharing that with me!

As you've noticed I'm still very worried haha, altough I feel slightly better 😊

• Posted

Hi Liz, any update?

Been thinking about you all day! Hoping for positive result.

Keeping you in my prayers smile Xx

• Posted

How kind of you to post. Just on my way home from the hospital. The ulcers have healed but now there is a new area of gastritis. I have to take in a stool sample (ugh) between now and Thursday when I have the follow up appointment. He is checking for h.pylori again so we'll see what that shows. Hopefully nothing sinister.

Re your endoscopy, I think you'd be better going for that rather than the barium swallow because it will give much more accurate results. If you have the sedation you'll sail through it. My brother had it done without and said it was ok. Not pleasant but bearable. At least you have a choice.

Will let you know what Thursday brings unless I hear anything before.

Any more news on a date for your procedure?

• Posted

I'm glad to hear that the ulcers have healed!

Haha that must be a bit embarassing, but it will help to check whether there is traces of blood from gastritis.

I'm really not sure whether to be sedated or not! My gag reflexes are quite quick and strong, but then again I don't like the idea of being asleep. What a dilemma! 

Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the hospital since my visit. It's going to be a very long journey!

• Posted

Don't drink too much coffee, if you drink that stuff. I cut down and it's helped. Coffee relaxes the lower and upper sphincters and allows acid to back flow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.