Is it an ibd?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all! Hopefully some of you can help me figure out what's going on. I'm 29 year old female with family history of breast cancer.

I posted this previously in the colon cancer section, but hope to get some feedback from. Ibd suffers as well.

Over Thanksgiving weekend of 2017 I experienced extreme lower abdominal pain and cramping along with a mild fever. The pain got so extreme that I needed to hold the bottom of my stomach as I walked. After about 4 days the pain calmed and I only experienced minor pain for about a week after. Even though pain was deminishing I did go to urgent care just to be safe. The doctor asked some general questions and pushed on my left side which did cause sensitivity. He told me that he thought it was ibs and sent me on my way.

Following that visit I had fluctuating symptoms of constipation, diarrhea after eating higher fat foods and nausea in the morning. These lasted for about 2 months and then seemed to go away. With only occasional flutters twinges here and there.

In April, I spiked another fever this time getting up to 103° F (but quickly dropped back down by the following morning) , and same abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea which lasted for about a week before going away. Lucky me though, I got exposed to hand, foot and mouth and while in the incubation period got another high fever. Again breaking 103° but quickly dropping back down. Back into urgent care I went, this time to get the hand, foot and mouth diagnosis. They took some blood and said that I had a high wbc and thought I had an infection but not hand, foot and mouth since I didn't display any rash. They hooked my up to an IV, gave a bunch of medication and sent me on my way. That night I broke out in hives and psoriasis looking rashes all over my body. Went back into urgent care and they told me they thought it was a reaction to the medication they had giving through the IV. Sent me back home and told me to take benadryl. Three days later I had a swollen lymph nodes and another visit to the urgent care. Again they told me not to worry and that it was common. And suggested that I make an appointment with my primary.

1 month (June, 2018 at this point) later I am in to see my primary and he tells me that the test from the urgent care showed me to have iron deficiency anemia. He send me out for more test and my blood work comes back with anemia, high wbc, high platelets and high c-reactive. Theysend me to a hematologist who tells me that I'm only slightly anemic and it's most likely caused by heavy periods. I inform him that I have irregular periods that do last a while but I haven't had one since these symptoms started. He tells me that it could be something to do with my intestine but only refers me out to get an ultrasound of my ovaries.

The following weekend I start to experience pain again this time including extreme bloating and pressure. I go back in for another visit with the urgent care and they tell me wbc is high still but they wouldn't consider me anemic any longer. I ask them if these new symptoms are more psychological since I'm being bounced around with no real answers and they say it could be but to continue with the follow ups as you never know.

1 week later I'm still experiencing symptoms and now it feels like a balloon has been bloat up on my lower left side. Next day I'm back at urgent care this time freaking out because I'm worried that something is serious. The tenderness on my. Left side is back. I'm pooping normally during all of this but they send me out for an ultrasound of my ovaries and my stomach and xrays of my stomach. Ultrasounds come back good, and xray only shows some minor constipation. They give me some medicine for it and send me on my way.

Since I consider myself to be normal on my bowel movements previously they suggested I finish the bottle over the next week and go from there. However, by this point I'm so stressed out that I start pushing heavily while using the restroom. About four days into the medication and I'm having a feeling of pressure in my butt and feeling like I'm never finished. This last for another week but then seemed to clear up when I make some dietary changes. (This is probably July 10th, 2018 by this point.)

All my stomach issues seem to go away for about two weeks time by eating more greens and, however one day I get constipated again and the incomplete feeling returns. This has now been going for around a week and during that time. I've had both constipation and diarrhea along with general pain in my stomach still on the left side but sometimes across the bottom and on the right.

My question is this, should I be concerned. My initial assumption would be that this is ibs, since my stomach symptoms switch between the too and while I'll occasionally have an ache or a pain in my stomach majority of the pain has been resolved by using the restroom. That being said, I know ibs doesn't cause elevated wbc, anemia or high c-reactive. And that those type of workups usually accompany something more serious. I feel like the rash that I've been experiencing with the more extreme periods of symptoms could possibly connect to an ibd like ulceritis colitis but I'm also concerned about the possibility of colon cancer since constipation doesn't usually follow typical ibd symptoms.

I do finally have a referral out for a coloniscpy but it has yet to be scheduled. My GI says that it could be ibs but he wants to rule everything out. Which honestly just kinda freaks me out more.

My family history does include breast cancer but not colon cancer, and I'm at a pretty young age which makes me find it unlikely. However, I worry that the overall delays that I've been experiencing with any type of really diagnose could be putting me at some serious risk.

I feel like I'm so in my head right now that I can't trust my memories or my bodies. I don't feel like over the ladt 8 months that I've been experiencing any constant abdominal pain, and as stated about for the most part outside of an occasional ache most discomfort is resolved by using the restroom.

One final note, over the last several months I've also experienced base of neck pain, minor joint pain that only last for a couple of minutes to several hours, eye pain and a skin reaction that looks similar to psoriasis. None of my diarrhea or constipation last for more than a few days but could happen several times a month. Stomach pain is described as aches throughout lower abdomen all staying in fairly similar locations.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.