Is it anxiety...?

Posted , 6 users are following.

A couple months ago I experienced what I explain as shortness of breath. It's like a sensation where it seems like im not getting as much oxygen as I should be. I went to a Dr that performed a lung function test and results were normal. I've had blood work done for any kind of lung disease. A month ago my Dr told me I was clear of asthma and COPD. I'm not sold yet. I was told "it's anxiety! Go to the gym and drink more water". So I've been drinking more water but too scared to go to the gym. I'm too scared to even sleep. It feels like I'm gonna quit breathing. Like my throat is going to close. It's as if I can feel inside my throat a dry feeling I'm always swelling and drinking fluids. Resting while breathing through my nose and my mouth it feels like my lungs are restrained to a certain amount of oxygen levels. It's happening more often for the last 2 weeks. I need relief.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like anxiety, if you're feeling stressed? Thinking about your breathing isn't going to help. Have you tried betablockers followed by what's worrying you? The reason your Dr might have mentioned the gym is because it's a recognised reliever of stress, which (annoyingly) can be brought on by our own brain rather than anything medical Best wishes x

• Posted

Yep you have Anxiety, all the tests will just come out negative so save your money and start going to the gym and stay away from caffeine and DR. Google. Your mind is already in stress mode with all the "What happens if I ..?"  Kate is right about betablockers, your Dr can give you a prescription for them (Propranolol)they take about an hour to work but will calm you down, very common med with little or no side effects. Good Luck  

• Posted

I agree with joe tamara it sounds like stress and that definitely affects the breathing beta blockers are brilliant and im on propanolol if you want an alternative try bachs rescue remedies you can take the liquid one as often as you like and it is natural try some relaxing music or take some long walks and take the focus off your breathing and as joe has said stay away from dr google it should be banned x

• Posted

Hi Tamara,

I have heard people on this forum talk of having a feeling of having a lump in throat. Anxiety the possible cause.

Phil

• Posted

See it doesn't feel like a lump I've experienced that before. It's like straight shortness of breath. Like someone had cut off partial airway. I start to feel scared because it makes me begin to hyperventilate sometimes or closely to it. It's been ongoing for 3 months

• Posted

I'ts the Anxiety that's doing it and I had the same issue plus many many more. It's hard to believe that your mind can do this but it can and is. You really need to see a Psychiatrist who can diagnose you and setup a plan for you to help reduce the Anxiety, there are many ways to attack it.

Good luck

• Posted

I'm experiencing these symptoms too. Sometimes I struggle to swallow. I've heard exercise helps but I worry about over doing it.

I hope it starts to get better for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.