Is it cancer?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi people, I am scared. Truly frightened today. Doctor asked me to book an ultrasound scan to see if kidneys and bladder are ok, as I've been really ill recently. I have made my IBS flare terribly due to this because my dad had kidney cancer which killed him 6 years ago and I keep thinking that's what I've got and my doctor has just put a brave face on it. Should I mention my IBS for this scan as procedures like this make my IBS worse. If this is cancer thanks for your support on here. X

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Mention your IBS definitely.  I always do especially at dental appoointments to make sure they can adjust treatment for me so I can stay as relaxed as possible.  The slighest stress can set my IBS off.   I wouldn’t worry about cancer; you probably are simply prone to infection.
    • Posted

Thanks Pippa, I knew somebody clever would reply. I did mention my IBS and they were then very understanding. Now getting my eyes checked so 2 health things in 1 day before seeing my counsellor. Must be mad!!!!
    • Posted

An eye test will be my next task because I am getting blurry vision and I need to hold things up to the light, use a magnifying glass and zoom up text on my ipad.  That’s if I can be bothered with the stress of it all!
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, a step ahead of you. Had eyes tested but mine are free as my dad had glaucoma. My eyes are a little better. I have to wear glasses for very close work and hate it!!!
    • Posted

I have both long and short sight and my dad and my niece have the same. She has it the age of eleven!
  • Posted

Hi Sam,

I wouldn’t worry too much hun as it may not be as bad as you think, tho, I am a worrier myself so, cannot talk!! lol

A good friend of mine said to me many years ago, don’t worry ‘till you have got something to worry about’ and when you think of it that is good logic sense as I also suffer with ibs and, any stress my ibs flares up and it doesn’t do you any good. Am sure you will be fine, perhaps, you are prone to infections and your Dr is being thorough and making sure by you have these tests. Please let me know and others on here how you get on. Always here for you if you want to talk, that’s what I like about this site. xx

• Posted

I've always thought on this website the kindness of strangers and it's true. I'm sure it's my doctor's job to be thorough - she's the 1st one who has. It's what I DO about so many infections not anything else that really matters. I am a practical person when it comes to health and that's all I want to do deal with it and know I'll be ok. Thanks for your reassurance though I will let you know how I get on.x

• Posted

Sam, i have had ibs-d for 8 years now and it is a lonely and isolating health concern to have. Any level of stress sets it off and i am always cancelling activities and the like. I am anxious over everything now. Stress can wreck havoc on your mind and body. IBS is basically the name the doctors label when they cant find a cause or cure. And that is scary. We all tend to think the worst when we aren't given a clear cut reason for our symptoms. You will be ok. The dr just needs to add yet another test in the elimination process. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Laurie thanks for your information. When I was diagnosed it was with ibsc and I am now suffering with the heat! My bowels keep going loose, imodium is only bunging my bowel up and leaving it in pain. What do you take for the pain and doesn't it make you feel sick occasionally? My bowel is hurting today, in sharp little pains. Do you have any suggestions you take for the pain?

• Posted

Hi Sam, strangely I dont suffer from pain that often thats what makes it so weird but I do get exhausted and have no energy. I get a lot of nausea though and when i take too much imodium i get a little dizzy. I just saw my gastro dr and she is redoing all of the tests i had done when i was diagnosed 7 yrs ago plus i am scheduled for another colonoscooy. There is a new test they can do to look at the pancreas because it secretes enzymes to aid in digestion and with chronic diarrhea - the small intestines is not doing its job before it moves things into the large intestines. This test is done via a blood test. All i know is something has to be found to help because i lost anither day at work today with a bad bout of D this morning!!!! Mentally I am fried.
    • Posted

Hi Laurie, that doesn't sound funny at all! I have an IBS flare today that has put my bowel in spasm, but this happens weekly due to the intensive counselling I'm having. It feels sore but I'll manage. I only took the imodium because I had an appointment to attend. I don't normally take much at all. The pain makes me physically tired and mentally as well. I may ask about this test at my doctor's next week. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.