Is it depression or menopause

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there, going to doctors tomorrow but afraid of walking out with antidepressants when I maybe need hrt. I'm 52 and periods are now quite erratic, I don't want to leave the house. Always in pyjamas. Terrible sweating sometimes. Sore knees. Paranoia. My mood is so low and fearful most of the time. Am I in menopause. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not sure but the doctor will do a blood test that will ensure whether you go through the menopause or not
  • Posted

Doctors are now advised to follow the NICE Guidelines and if you read them margaret I think you'll find you'll be prescribed HRT. The advice now is not to do a blood test to establish if a woman is in need of HRT but to be guided by her symptoms.
    • Posted

Well that's what the doctor did to me 3 years ago as well as listen to what I said
    • Posted

Thank you, a friend of mine was recently given hrt without the blood tests for night sweats. I have just found this site this morning and already have a bit of hope. I'm just so scared that it might not help me. I'm not suicidal but I know I am not living properly and the guilt is overwhelming as I have so much in my life to be grateful for. I have seen your replies on this forum and the help you give to women. Many thanks.
    • Posted

Thanks Caroline, I'm just scared incase I come across as depressed when it could be hormonal although I certainly do feel depressed.
  • Posted

Hi, I went to the GP because I was feeling awful, really low, so, so tired all the time, felt like I could cry all the time.

I was prescribed fluoxetine, they were great to start with, but I was still tired and still getting night sweats. I went onto a different one (can't remember the name)

Eventually I was seen and still having night sweats, so due to my family history of early menopause I was given HRT, Climagest, this one makes you have a monthly period, I'd only had two in 7 months. But the first one on the Climagest was horrific, extreme pain and extreme bleeding.

I told my GP and she referred me for an internal ultrasound, they found a large cyst. I had surgery on 22nd Dec to remove cysts, tubes and ovaries.

No cancer, but cyst was Seriously Borderline Tomour.

On 9th March I have to have a full hysterectomy.

I'd say, see your GP start with the antidepressants, if you have to, you'll get to the right outcome eventually.

• Posted

Yes that's true I had heavy bleeding when I started with menopause 3years ago and had to have an hysterectomy x
    • Posted

Thank you. I hope everything goes really well for you. I was on citalopram about 8 years ago but the tiredness it caused made me feel worse and my son was only 5 years old and needed his mum awake.
  • Posted

Hi Margaret,

I felt like that ad well and the HRT helped. Please check your thyroid and blood work. You may be lacking vitamin D or B12..... it stinks I still feel the blues even on HRT but not as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.