Is it Diverticulitis??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I initially went to my GP with having a burning sensation in my left side and groin area about 5 weeks ago.  I was also having bouts of diarrhea. She did a stool sample but no inflammation was found.

Anyway to cut a long story short she was going down the diverticulitis route until she did a routine urine sample and microscopic blood was detected.  Fast forward to now after MANY MANY tests on my kidneys and bladder all is thankfully ok in those area's.

Anyway due to the stress and anxiety of the tests, my diet has been almost none exist for last 3 weeks and the burning pain in my side subsided.  

The last 3 days I have started to eat properly again and the burning pain in my left side has returned with a vengence!

The things I have ate since getting the all clear from the other tests are white toast, porridge oats, chicken with blue cheese sauce, corned beef and onions and lasagne.

Could these foods ignite a flare up?? I am due to go back to my GP but want to be prepared.

Thank you to all that reply.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Suggest you go on fluids only for 48 hours - chicken broth, Complan, yogurt, tea/coffee and see if it subsides.  Would you say you liked strongly flavoured food?  Keep a food diary and see if your pain increases after certain foods.  Your doctor will probably suggest a colonoscopy if they are still considering diverticulitis, as it certainly sounds possible.  IBS is another possibility.  Best wishes
  • Posted

Good morning

I’ve tried to introduce  oatmeal and anything more than 1/2 cup it made me so uncomftable. I would switch to plain meals. Meat potato(no skins) and vegetable cooked until soft. I had the best luck eating fish even fried. Try keeping a food diary..

Stay away from onions! I ate eggs and pancakes, chicken noodle soup

Also I recommend a lot of fluids and probiotic with at least 1 billion cultures.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.