Is it gallbladder?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, been suffering nausea without sickness for a week. Doctor thinks I have an infected gallbladder, caused by a stone. The only other symptom is that I cannot bear the smell of cooked food, and am eating very small amounts as I have no appetite.

After reading some of the discussions on here, I'm not convinced it is a gallbladder problem.

I've been given antibiotics and an anti-emetic, blood test booked for Friday. Ultrasound being arranged for a later date.

Have any of you had similar symptoms?

Thanks

1 like, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

I don't have an answer for you I am afraid, but a couple of months ago I had your symptoms feeling sick and not liking the smell of any food for me, I love chocolate but could not even eat that, mine lasted just over a week too, then dissapeared and have been okay since, but I too did wonder about gallbladder, do let me know how you get on x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi carol, it can definitely be gallbladder I felt the same couldn't eat and didn't know what was going on with me until they did a hida scan which showed an ejection of only 5% almost dead nonfunctional . I lost 10 lbs . I got it removed and hopefully soon will get my weight back. I got it removed on Nov 16th still recovering but it gets better. Let us now how it goes. Good luck!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks, I've got a blood test booked for tomorrow, and an ultrasound booked for Tuesday. Hopefully, something will show up somewhere. I can't live on biscuits and crisps forever.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Nausea is the main symptom I have been having, and for about 8 mos. I was diagnosed with a stone 3 mos. ago. My nausea has varying degrees of severity, and there are times that I feel repulsed by food also. BUT, I have found that if I make myself eat a little something, like cold breakfast cereal, it actually improves how I feel. Sometimes, on a very bad day it only helps for a couple of hours and then I cannot get feeling better. I have to lie down. Mine is not infected though. I am trying the medication meant to dissolve the stone. It is an ongoing, daily struggle. Then some days I am actually just fine. Go figure.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How are you finding the dissolving medication? How long have you been on them? Would be interested to know if it works! Please keep in touch 😃
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have been on the Urisol medication for 2 1/2 mos. I have a lot of the side effects of it though. A number of the things listed are the same as the gallstone symptoms, so the cure is worse, or as bad, as the disease! The meds can give one nausea and that is my foremost symptom of the gallstone. Plus my doctor (and other med websites) says that it usually takes at least 6 mos.

But I really do not want to have surgery if I can avoid it. I don't recover easily from surgeries. And I have seen so many postings here of people who have a bad time after losing the gallbladder. Plus, the RN Practitioner at my Dr.'s told me that she was very much in favor of trying everything else first. She said that many people suffer ever after without a gallbladder. So I am persevering.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's not true. AND STOP PERSEVERING I had a gallbladder op one the first. keyhole ops in 1992 had no problems. You don't say what other ops you have had or whether your doctor is reluctant because you would not be able to have a keyhole procedure or age or a heart condition other or age!! Believe me I was doubled over most days with pain.nausea UTI s because my stones were like sand passing constantly through my uretha On constant antibiotics. In the end you don't need to be carted off a emergency with a infected gallbladder and end up Jaundiced!! If your worried about adhesions because had many operations there's nothing to compare with the pain caused by a infected gallbladder ruining your quality of life You can't live off antibiotics forever If you had a infected tooth abcess you would've it out because of blood poisoning. ! REMOVING YOUR GALLBLADDER IS A ROUTINE OP NOW ADAYS Same AS A APPENDIXS REMOVAL . Like all ops follow the rules no lifting things after drivingvfor so many weeks even keyhole as you tend to forget as no real visible scar to remind you!! PS ask for a referral.and second opinion. Start by asking your doctor why reluctant in your case Seems he she needs to stop scaring patients.over some beliefs that patients will get worse problems having a gallbladder removed just scaremongering.!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well, everyone is different. I have had laproscopic procedures going way back. I take a long time to recover and experience high levels of pain. There a lot of difficulties that can occur with the digestive tract without a gallbladder. Between my Dr. and me we decided to try this. I have a friend who did this medication a few years ago and he did great in the end. I am not in the middle of an infection. If I get one I know to head to the hospital because that is a game-changer. I'm glad the operation worked for you. I does for many people, it doesn't for others.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No but hot food seemed to upset me. I was not nauseous. with my Gallbladder. My pain.was really bad round my middle under my rib cage often doubled over with pain. You will loose your appetite if feeling nauseous. If you vomit it's usually nasty green bright yellow bile. from a blocked bile duct infected in your gallbladder.. It may be a hetius hernier that would make you feel sick and vomit and under rib pain upper stomach,? The only thing. these forums no one's. giving their age so difficult to give advice I have diverticular desease and now IBS causing stomach problems vomiting feeling nauseous and a small hetius hernier but not sure anymore I have no luck with the hospitals diagnosis of me. One consultant I was under was terrible said my dirvirticular desease small plus my hetius hernier when not Apparently chronic on another CT scan within.a year All he kept saying was wear and tear and if you did a CT scan off a 100 People in the street you would find some small problems Lol.. I have a new consultant now thank god,, I'm 70 by the way and a retired nursing assistant so know my stuff and they can't pull.the wool over my eyes. The only other time food made me Nauseous. was when cooking when pregnant and didnt know it from day one.. I couldn't bare smell of cooking mince meat or any meat or cooking any food stuff So as you can see important to give some indication your age here.!! good luck,
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am female, 62 yrs.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Had my blood test today. The nurse called a doctor in for another opinion. He doesn't think it's my gallbladder, as the area wasn't tender enough. He thought it was stomach cramps and prescribed buscopan. Within 20 minutes of taking 2, I was hungry. I'm not sure whether it was just a coincidence, but I'm glad to have eaten something, even if its still not hot food.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe you have acid reflux or Gerd upper gastric problems or a hetius hernier If you get it again.get another opinion if bad again.I'm taking COLOFAC which stops stomach cramps but I have diverticular desease and. IBS combined my stomach sore under ribs most times. Keep taking the tablets it does help.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Personally I used to have severe stomach problems for years; confirmed gallbladder sludge & gastroscope illustrating peptic ulcers in my tummy.

Rather than surgical options or taking medication long term, I've been attempting to get daily requirement of fiber. Attempting to consume fiber before consuming necessary fatty food that initiate digestion, and eating plenty of green vegetable with vitamin K have resulted in what seems to be a full recovery of stomach enzymes over the years.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dairy free milk helps me lactose free. I can't eat bread it swells me up. causes me alot of pain and that's when brown,, However I have porridge in mornings
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lots of people do have problems after surgery.  I am one of the them.  I nearly died in my removal operation but would've died without it.  Two years on I am in a right old state with some sort of post operative mass.  I need an operation to remove it.  It might not make my symptoms go away.  Everybody has different experiences.  Those that have had success from surgery should count their blessings.  Those of us that suffer really suffer.  There is no inbetween.  Good luck to you all.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up