Is it just a cough ....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone, I have aniexty at quite a severe level at times and nothing health wise seems to go right to help this awful condition.

as the past week I've have an awful flu/cold with all the usual symptons - sore throat, aches and pains, sore head, runny nose but now it's almost gone but I have an awful cough

Since yesterday I have had a really sore pain on my lower right abdomen every time I cough, sneeze or bend forward, always worse when coughing. I have been trying to keep calm and all my family etc say that it's the muscles sore with coughing over the past few days. I had a good nights sleep with no pain but it's sore today again. I also have a few bowel problems and due to taking Co-Codomol for my flu I now am constipated (sorry for too much info) which isn't helping the situation and just hoping it isn't something more serious. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a cold and cough that started on Boxing Day evening and even though the cold lasted about a week I still have the cough,that's just over seven weeks but apparently a lot of people I have heard have had coughs that last several weeks, perhaps it's to do with the failure of this year's flu jab!  The cough is worse when I first get up but I get it on and off throughout the day.  For the first few days of the cough I had awful muscular pain across my stomach , below my navel, from the coughing but it only lasted a few days. It's quite normal that if you've been coughing a lot you find muscles you didn't know you had! 

I know what you mean about the co-codamol and bowel problems!  I broke my femur nine months ago and was on morphine and then co-codamol but I was determined not to take it for long as it can be addictive if you take if even for two or three weeks so I was virtually off painkillers after two weeks. I also had to take tablets to counteract the effects of the co-codamol as well. I  would have thought that something like paracetamol would have been better to take.  By the way, co-codamol can cause nightmares and I had a couple of those which were quite frightening and another reason not to take them.  I shouldn't worry about the muscular pain, especially if you never had it before you started coughing, it would be a different matter if you were having the pain before you had the cough, in which case you would need to see a doctor but if it came with the cough then it should ease off as the cough gets better.

• Posted

Yes I had my flu jab but have had about 2 doses of flu and 5 colds!! I was thinking too that jab was worth it!

yes I do think it's my muscles but you know what it's like when you have aniexty everything goes into your head.

yes was taking the co-Codomol because my throat was so sore and to be honest paracetamol wasn't doing anything at all. Only took 6 mind and my stomach/bowels all upset! A vicious circle - thank you for replying xxx 

• Posted

i bet it is muscle soreness too. i actually bruised my rib a few years ago during a bout with bronchitis. coughing so hard over a long time period takes a toll! i am sure you'll feel better. maybe try a warm bath/soak or a hot water bottle?
  • Posted

Probably just a rib cage muscle tear, will go away with end of cough.

it is frequent when having constant cough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.