Is it just me?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'll get straight to the point, "Itching"  2 weeks post op confused .

Anyone else scratching like crazy and driving their partner mad

It can start any time of day or night striking any area from the ankle to mid thigh. 

I try hard to ignore it but eventually have to slap on  E45 which thankfully does calm things down.

Also 2 weeks post op my shin in particular and to some extent my calf became tender to the touch.

I've had this tightening of the lower leg for 7 days now and it does not appear to be improving, just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Surgery was recommended 5 years before I finally had it done and apparently in that period my leg had taken up a slightly bent position. (something I hadn't noticed)

The surgeon said he would sort this out by stretching it at the same time he did my knee.

Wow, I think he must have used the "Rack" the back of my leg was black and blue and so swollen, it gave me some real stick.

I also noticed some bruising round the ankle and top of my thigh, probably anchor points before stretching, who knows.

I wonder if any surgeons read the feed back on this forum and are tempted to explain why so many different symptoms occur post op.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi David,  I haven’t had the itching this time but have with previous operations! It does drive you mad! 

I am five weeks down the line and the whole of the front of my leg still feels very tender, especially at the shin. I’m still having bruising coming out too. The top of my thigh is still painful and really aches. I dont think this is a surprise given what the operation entails. I haven’t watched any clips or read what it involves as I knew it would freak me out but people who have have explained that this is the reason it takes so long to recover. 

You are still in very early days. Best of luck with recovery. 

• Posted

Cannot imagine a surgeon having the time to read this feedback here. I know my surgeon would not. They rarely explain much or provide info, anyway. Or mine didn't. Drugs can cause itching. I'm at 21 months post op. I feel weird and sometimes experience discomfort. My balance is shot. I grin and bear it. Life goes on. It's never perfect is it?

• Posted

It might help then though! Sorry to hear that Lyn. I’m 5 weeks in. I’m really hoping that this operation helps to end the years of misery 

I think you are right about the drugs. I was allergic to morphine. It brought me up in huge red rashes which were so itchy! 

• Posted

I really hope you get a great result Victoria. For me, I cannot imagine being 80 and putting up with the stiffness, knee cap pain, muscle tenderness and balance issues for another 15 years but I guess I will have to wait and see if I last that long. I travel a lot (19 hour bus ride,  two day break then 3 flights, as Bali aircraft grounded due to active volcano) and really just get on with it, however a day or two when I didn’t have stiffness or feel weird balance-wise would be wondrous, I felt that a double knee replacement might give me a return to a much more active life than two bone on bone knees delivered, for 7 years. I didn’t factor in the muscle, tendon, ligament damage and imperfect recovery of same, as a result of the bilateral surgery and the limitations that age delivers when recovery from surgery is inhibited by frustratingly slow healing. 
  • Posted

hi to everyone im 2nd post TKR the first leg was a success turned the corner had a light bulb moment and thought Yeah im over this well almost still have off days but only if i overdo it im notorious for it never learn lol

However im in a position that i know all sort of problems slap you in the face when you're not looking lol ITCHING yeah been there and E45 is the answer and little stretches Its the nerve ending letting you know that they are healing Good luck to everyone xx

• Posted

oh by the way im 2 weeks post op for the other other leg Im at the crying stage it will pass its to be expected and today im not doing so well with the bend Buy hey oh its a only a mere hiccup in my journey  tomorrows another day 
    • Posted

Hi Joan, it will pass. I’ve cried more since this operation than I ever have. I’ve had three days where I haven’t cried in 5 weeks. The first three weeks are def the hardest. Lots of icing and elevating for you today. Wishing you well. 
  • Posted

Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)...great topical anti-inflammatory.  Use a few times during the day and then especially at bedtime.
  • Posted

I had a bad reaction to some pain meds.  Intense itching, swelling in ankles.  Trial and error (great medical practice) and I found relief from pain with oxycodone. ( it is also less constipating than some others) . My doctor also added Atarax ( usually used for allergy and is a mild tranquilizer). I felt immediate relief. Able to sleep better.  I am coming up on my one year anniversary. I can walk, run and stand like a normal person!! This is truly a year long process. When I first joined this forum, I was in intense pain, depressed and disappointed in my progress. I got support and help throughout my recovery.  Somethings to check out, bio freeze, vitaminE cream and a knee pillow ( all available on amazon).

Talk to your doctor about the itching.  You do not need ,( in addition to the pain, PT and sleeplessness,) to have the itching.

Stay in touch with this forum. The people here are always available to listen to you vent.

Ellie

• Posted

Hi David.i am at 7 weeks post tkr.i have had two separate days of terrible itching but I've taken Piriton antihistamine which really helped.I also was black and blue from ankle to top of my leg.thankfully most of that has eased apart from a section top of my knee to below which is still pretty sore.my physio said this is soft tissue damage.my bad  leg is still quite swollen.my knee area is still sensitive to touch but I found bio oil or baby oil massaged in helped a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.