Is it just me..or is my TKR Not part of me, hence hindering progress?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been thinking hard about this...I had a TKR 3 months ago, as many of you know.  BUT...I don't realy think I have come to terms with the 'is it really part of me?' syndrome.

I don't really 'trust' it, like I would have the original knee (even thought hat was duff)....And I have to be honest, doesn't actually feel like it's part of me...

Am I going nuts or do other people feel this way?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hello peter

yes I totally agree - I could come to terms with a big chunk of plastic in my body- that is why I have gone down the injection route first to to if I can get away without having a TNR

I have two friends who have had TNR and they still feel the same as you do but maybe as time passes it my become a thing in your distant past memory.

I wish you all the best anyway

jude

• Posted

Thank you Jude....I was secretly worried about it not being part of 'me' before the op, but kind of dismissed it.

I think if the pain and discomfort and lack of 'normality' as added to this feeling.  Had it been a few weeks of discomfort and being back to 'normal' would have been fine, but it's dragging on now, and very frustrating...

• Posted

As you know, I am 6 weeks or so behind you. I know exactly what you mean lol. It just doesn't feel the same or quite as though it's me .it still hurts less than the old one did .

and I really want to see an X-ray of it , to make it seem part of me . Guess we are both nuts lol  how are doing, any better?  

• Posted

Hi Pam...I'm back at work now, and thank goodness not in a physically demanding job....I'm still having a nightmare sleeping....Last night I woke with discomfort and pain at 2:00am...and didn't go back to sleep...Off to work at 8:00am for an 8 hour day....So it's not brilliant...

As I said, it doesn't feel part of 'me'...and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that, that notion is part of the problem.

I have a picture of my knee taken the day after the operation...I don't suppose yours will be any different...it's on my 'blog' if you've seen it.  I can't post the address publically, but if you private message me I'll send you the link (click the little envelope thingy just below my name on here)

• Posted

Yes, I did see it, but that's yours not mine lol, I see my surgeon next week, so I will ask to see mine . That's when decisions need to be made about having the next one 
    • Posted

Hi Pam,

Incidentally, you said you were going to ask the surgeon if you can see the x-ray.  I found I had to be quite firm about asking (I suppose it depends on who you see, and what sort of rapport you have with them), but I found they're a bit reluctant to say the least, especially as I wanted to take a picture of it with my phone.  Just a 'heads up' (hate that phrase smile )

• Posted

I can only ask .. I just did the ice bucket challenge so feeling good about myself lol 
    • Posted

Did you retain some of the ice for your knee?...hahaha

Incidentally, I sent you a Private Message on here smile

• Posted

Yes, still have some ice, I only wanted cold water but my grandson insisted that would not be fair so in went the ice lol. I haven't seen a private message , or I don't know where to look 
    • Posted

ooops...my apologies, I sent it to Betty, and not you...She wanted to read the bedmaking story I wrote....

You find the messages at the top right of the screen...just click where it says 'messages'....

• Posted

I would but I can't send it on here...I'd need to email you...That's why I Private messaged betty, to give her my email address...I'll PM you with my details
  • Posted

No, you're not going mad.  Only today, I described my new knee as 'an alien being' to my Physio.  She said it would take at least a year for it to feel part of me.

It is, after all, a piece of plastic and metal.  Whole new meaning to having 'implants'!

Just managed to get in the bath for the first time in 9 weeks.  Getting in OK. Getting out not a pretty sight!

• Posted

Lynn, I was thinking the other night, I wonder if this alien in my body is stopping me sleeping .lol 
    • Posted

Oh, I'm pleased yu dot a bath...isn't it 'bliss'???.....Yeah I know it's a struggle to get in and out, but worth it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.