Is it normal for it to take 7 weeks for a strained knee to heal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was overdoing my workouts and doing alot of high impact exercises--lunges, deep knee bends, etc. and I believe I strained the tendons in my right knee.  It has been  7 weeks and I am almost pain-free except for by the end of the day I am tired and begin to feel pain.  Is it  normal to take this long to heal?  I am 59 years old and physically active & below the "ideal weight" for my height.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The simple answer is YES.Tendons take a lot longer than bones to heal.  Cut back on the exercises; is no lunges, no impact exercises, no knee bends.  There are a lot of exercises out there that you can do without working the affected area.  If you insist on doing your current exercises, even in a diminished way,the longer it will take to heal
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice....I didn't realize it took so long for the healing process smile
    • Posted

Soft tissue like tendons will always take longer than bone to heal. Frustrating I know.  It is essential you do as the medics advise
  • Posted

Ice, Ibuprofen, rest, I listen to my body and rest when I need to but that is my last go to. I work my painful knee as long as I am not doing damage, I roll out and stretch the surrounding area and Ice immediately after workout. Ibuprofen is used very sparingly but used when necessary.  I am almost 69 and have had a TKR so sore is just part of the process, one day it occurred to me that I was going to be sore if I worked out or if I didn’t, so why not work out? As I age I experience pain in different parts of my body at different times during the day, the trick for me is it just old age pain or an injury. If it is old age pain then damn the torpedoes full speed head.  
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice....hard for me to REST---but I do realize that when my body says to slow down, I need to try to listen!  Thx again!
  • Posted

I am amazed you wouldnt have been advised properly on some of these things like lunges. You haven't reached stage 2 of healing yet and are way ahead of the curve, which is fantastic but don't hurt yourself. I have found being overly aggresive and not paying attention to your therapist is the recipie for set backs. Having had to rehab 5 times has been a learning experience that has taught some pretty tough lessons. Stay with your program but be patient. You are still healing inside and nerve damage is far from completely healed. You are fortunate that you have the age, weight and previous physical condition to add to your positives. My estimation is you are in a category of less than 5 % who go through this proceedure. Most have had to reduce activities because of high pain levels. This of course, leads to being out of shape both physically and mentally. Best wishes for continued success.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments and advice!  I am impatient to get pain-free and that may or may not happen smile  Thx again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.