Is it normal for your period not to be regular after stopping birth control ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is it normal to not have a regular period after stopping birth control? I had been on birth control from the time i was 14 til i was 19.. I just turned 20, but it's only been about 4 months since i stopped taking them. At first, my period would come randomly.. I think it was late when i got my first period after not being on the pill.. but then i got one randomly that was way too early.. and then the next was really late, with the next one just being kind of late.. now i'm about week late.. is this normal?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This is a really common experience. Usually they start to return to what they were before after around 3 months.

• Posted

I came off of my birth control because my doctor thought it was the cause of my anxiety. I had a regular period just as if I was on the birth control for about 3-4 months, now mine is all over the place. Sometimes there is only 21 days between, and sometimes there are 31 or 32. It might last 3 days or it might last 7. 6 months after I stopped it I had some breakthrough bleeding. My OBGYN said that some people take longer to get back regulated than others. 

So yes I think it is completely normal. At least that is what my doctors tell me :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.