Is it normal to feel worse before you feel better?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this group. I started taking 20mg around 2 weeks ago for depression and over the last week I've been feeling so much worse than I did to start with. I have no motivation for anything and I feel really down all the time. I've had the usual side effects, feeling tired, yawning, tremors, loose bowels for the first day or two and the weirdest dreams I've had but I didn't think I'd be feeling this low. Can someone please tell me if this is normal?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I'm afraid it is normal to feel worse before you start to feel better, I know it isn't very nice but stick with it, it is worth it in the end and there are times when you think it will never work but suddenly it starts to and you will be feeling so much better. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi I can only tell you what I'm going through. Im on the 11th day and the past 5 days I had next to no sleep. Anxiety attacks also. But I was so tired last night I did fall asleep for around 5 hours woke for an a hour then fell asleep again for 3 hours woke then slept further hour and half. So best night ive had. I been told side effects can take up to 3 weeks
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I have had no problems like yourselves. NO loose of sleep/ no Anxiety no loose bowls etc. I also did not feel worse till feeling better. I must be a lucky one. I must say I do have days were I could sleep late in the mornings till about 9am but not a problem for me as I am retired and I take longer to get going in the morning and my sense of rushing around has slowed down , and I find that I think of me more then saying Yes to everything and everyone.. That in its self have helped in my feeling well.

So all the best to you all .

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I can honestly say that the one good thing about being on this medication is that I've slept better in the last two weeks than I've slept for years but that's the only good thing so far. I will take your advice and stick with it and I will post again in a couple of weeks with an update. Maybe you could too Angela08347 and we can compare notes.
  • Posted

Well I keep having 2 hours sleep then awake for an hour then another couple hours. Feel shaky inside and anxious still. I now been on cit 20 mg for just over 2 weeks. Was supposed to go back to work today and feel to low.
  • Posted

Hi Angela.Badly disturbed sleep, especially if you are normally a good sleeper, is a debilitating condition. I have the same thing, only because of arthritic pain. It leaves me totally exhausted & with bad headaches. On the other hand, I have been fine with the Citilipram. I think it's worth persevering with for a while longer.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your comment as things are calming down and starting to relax and sleep .not long sleep but better than it was. But im sticking with them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.