Is it normal to have blips after 3 months?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi everyone, I've been on Cit for 3 months - 8 weeks on 20mg. I've been really up and down the whole time, but have been able to cope at work etc and have had some really good days. But over the last few days I feel like I've had the worst dip so far. I'm anxious, tearful, spaced out and keep having cold flushes in my chest. It started the day after I got my period, which could explain it, but I can't live like this - I think I need to go up to 40mg - can anyone reassure/advise me?

Many thanks x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have also been on Cit for 8 weeks and to be honest, though I feel better than I did, I'm not seeing a great improvement. I'm tired all of the time and feel generally very low. Exercise and seeing friends helps, and I'm only just back in work after being off for 3 months. My doctor raised my dosage from 30mg per day to 40mg, and I'm hoping this will work, but so far I've not felt much of a change. I'd recommend asking your GP if s/he can put you on 40mg. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your reply, 8 weeks is still really early days, I've been on citalopram for 3 months, but 8 of those have been on 20mg. My doc has agreed to up mine to 40mg but I am really nervous about side-effects. I feel quite lost and confused as I don't know what the best thing to do is.

I HATE this illness!!!

• Posted

I HATE this illness too!! It is absolutely unbearable at times. Just want it to go away and feel as though I'm doing everything I can to help it disappear - yoga, running, mindfulness, seeing friends, healthy diet - but it just hangs around like a black dog. When do things get better?
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your reply, 8 weeks is still really early days, I've been on citalopram for 3 months, but 8 of those have been on 20mg. My doc has agreed to up mine to 40mg but I am really nervous about side-effects. I feel quite lost and confused as I don't know what the best thing to do is.

I HATE this illness!!!

• Posted

HI Kate, over the past 3 months I have had good days where I feel I'm totally back to normal, but I'm just having a few too many dips for my liking. It will get better, I had PND three years ago and I did make a full recovery. It's just so hard to see the light at the moment xx
  • Posted

Hey inthewoods, great to hear from u, sorry things arent good tho, I went back to the drs 3 weeks ago and she referred me to a psychiatrist as she thinkd its hormonal as im not evening out with my mood, I also asked to be put on a diff a.d ad I didnt want to up the cit as had awful side effects so shes started me on 20mg fluodetine 2 weeks ago which im not great on at mom but better than cit, im due to up them to 40mg tmo!is there a psttern to ur moods as I have noticed that my mood and anxiety are severe thr week begore and the week of my period then I build up to a great week then slip back down again. Ive been doing my own research and its seeming to b a lot like a conf0dition called pmdd, pre menstrual dysphoria disorder, ive been keeping a diary of my moods and a chart to hit the psychaitrist with and if they agree I hope to have cbt and referral to a gynae!! Have u upped ur tablets?I plan to up mine tmo and got to start the contraceotive pill on first day of nxt cycle which should be nxt week xxx
  • Posted

Hi Cara, really good to hear from you, I was wondering how you were doing. I think my moods are quite random, I did wonder if it could be hormonal, but I found I was very anxious two weeks before my period, then the week before was good, then while my period was on I dipped. It really scared me so I asked to up my dose to 30 mg. I started it yesterday and have been feeling pretty low. I thought I was doing well so I'm just really upset to be back here again. Xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up