Is it ok taking antidepressants ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello there everyone . I have been on 10mgs of citalopram since the end of January last year when all my symptoms came to a head and I ended up crying in the doctors surgery . I had had a really traumatic six months following the death of my beloved mum and I think that I just couldn't cope anymore . Thankfully I am feeling a lot better , apart from the odd symptoms , migraines and general aches and pains . I lost so much weight during those months falling below 8 stone , but now I am 9 stone 10 and feel much healthier at this weight as I felt I was underweight . I will be 50 in august and I am still having regular periods every three and a half weeks , this last week was very heavy . The thing is I am worried about still taking the citalopram as I worry the longer that I take it the harder it will be if I ever want to stop taking it . Should I be concerned ? Any thoughts and advice please . Kind regards Jane

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you should talk to your doctor, but I think I would wait with coming off of the antidepressant untill your meno is over. who knows? you may find yourself overloaded by two fold symptoms otherwise.

• Posted

hi apparently anti depessents not addictive.  i take 10 g citalopram which i think has made no difference to me at all as am suffering anxiety and peri menopause.   im coming off mine as have also been taking since early feb.  i too get a monthly migraine.  see your gp if you arent sure.
  • Posted

Hi Jane.. if you need help then talking the meds is the best thing you can do for yourself . I went years of not talking anything .. and when i finally gave in and took some even though they are tiny doses they where the dest thing to happen to me and i wish i had taken then years ago.  Ive come off mine a few times with no real issues.. just do it slowly.. reduce the dose a bit at a time by cutting the tablet or getting your doctor to prescribe a smaller dose etc. Your doctor will guide you.  You may find it helpfull to keep them while going through menopause  as it can cuase issues with low mood and anxiety. 
  • Posted

Hi Jane, if the Medes help then I would certainly stick with them for now. 10 mg is not a high dose at all and with your doctors help you shouldn't have any problem when you want to stop, come off them slowly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.