Is it possible to not be aware of when you're anxious?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm just a little confused.  I have this week come to agree I suffer with GAD after years of going to the doctors for heart palpitations, chest pain, waking up nauseated almost everyday (worse when stressed), extreme weight loss, tiredness beyond the norm or insomnia.  I even believe I've been having sorts of panic attacks over the years but not known, where my chest tightens and hurts, feel blood rushing to my ears, I get dizzy and definitely take too much oxygen in.. Yet I just assume "I feel sick".  I don't think there's one physical symptom that doesn't fit with anxiety but I never considered myself anxious before.  Has anyone else had the same problem where they didn't realise they were suffering this?  I mean, I can't even park my car without a mild panic attack because I'm worried about people behind me or if I don't get it right.  To me it feel absurd I thought I was a happy person all these years but I was constantly stressed out and waking up worried about literally everything possible, but not know I'm worrying.

ive only been on citalopram 4 days now, no physical side affects really, just a little sleepy.  Day 2 I was very erratic, day 3 I woke up without worries, it was weird, I could think if a problem and not get the waves of worry in my stomach, I didn't even wake feeling nauseated but as the day progressed I got really bad.  Today is more of a mellow day luckily.  So I think experiencing a day waking up without anxiety has proven to me I definitely have a problem with it but I don't understand how I've not known.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was a very anxious child and teen and didnt realise that when I felt "sick" it was most likely an axiety attack.  It has taken time, therapy and some medication to help me but I have been attack free for a good number of months. I think that unless someone tells you that the sky is blue, that you just igonore it as it is part of every day life, then when someone does point it out you feel the "why did I not know that" feeling. 

It does take time but it gets easier once you start to deal with it in whatever form you find best. 

Claire

• Posted

Thanks for reassuring me, I felt like I would surely know if I was suffering from anxiety.  But just like you I've been a big worrier from a young age so it is probably just a case of it being the norm.  It's great to hear it's worked well for you, I have for faith that it will work well for me as I've already had 2 hours from the citalopram already of waking without the dread, at least I know it's altering me in some way smile

• Posted

One thing to remember when you are on medication is this....

The medication is helping you to overcome certain thigns, but at the very last push, it is you that jumps that hurdle not your medication. A teacher can only prepare a student so much for an exam, but when it is crunch time, the student is the one to take charge of things. x

• Posted

Couldn't agree more.  Hopefully the waiting list for CBT won't be too big.  At least now I'm aware of what I'm feeling I can do more to try control it.

Thanks for replying smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.