Is it time to go on meds?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I suffer from derealisation/depersonlisation panic attacks and depression and I've tried coping with out meds but nothings working I tried cbt theorpy and his didn't work, I've been on steraline and it made me worse is there any good meds out there?

1 like, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Why did sertraline not work for u? I'm on my second day of sertraline sad hope it wasn't awful for u
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

CBT is a very simple therapy option and is always offered first as it's very cheap. Just ask for a different therapy option, theres many others
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think this is a wonderful answer.  People need to tell their physicians all of their symptoms and concerns!~if we don't speak up they cannot read ourt minds
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Absolutely, I think many think that CBT is the only form of therapy, which just isn't the case. Cbt is just cheap and easy to deliver, so it's always offered first. People have no problem asking for meds but few discuss therapy options
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know-I was taking lyrica for problems with my feet-lyrica made me swell up and I was misdiagnosed for lymphedema by my primary care-to make a long story short I was examined by a lymphedema doctor and she was about to start me on therapy and then I mentioned I was taking lyrica and she said:  Hold on!  stop the lyrica and come back in two weeks.  My swelling went down and instead of lymphedema I had spinal stenosis-it fit because I had a back injury many years earlier.  Wherever I go I take all my records-I check and recheck any new meds or proceduers-is that spelled wrong or am I having brain fog again?  anyway JMCG-I'm an old man with a long history of illness and doctors have made serious mistakes over the years that nearly cost me my life so I leave no stone unturned.  I tell thejm everything and I take notes and read up on what they tell me.   Become proactive with your health care.  If a doctor doesn't have time to talk to you find one who will.  Thats my motto and when I was told I had only months to live 10 years ago if I would have listened and gone in a hospice like they recommended I gurantee I would be dead a long time ago.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Try martizipine it helped me but maybe not you you've got to try to see what one works only thing you will put on weight first week you'll feel like a zombie then it eases off
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How does you DP/DR make you feel? Just wondered because I think I'm experiencing it too. I know human but I don't feel like it, and keep analysing life and thinking how we are all just organisms really, which scares me and makes me feel detached from everyday life
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

well Jenijar we are not just organisms we are aware.  We think, we feel, we love, hate, plan, build, we are,on this planet, the apex organism.  We can solve problems and willingly or unwittingly build and destroy for every reason or just because.  We can kill without remorse like an animal or we can kill with extreme remorse like a human.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi rhirhi x  why didn't you like the steraline?  was it the sides/  dry mouth, nausea,weight etc. .
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I hated Sertraline too sad but my dr said there's no specific med for depersonalization derealization idk why I guess because it's a coping mechanism basically when the brain feels ready to be okay again it'll go sad
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

There are other meds beside sertraline have you thought of lorazepam generic for ativan i take sertraline and it helps me. 

Have you ever thought about DBT its different from CBT 

With DBT you have skills to learn how to handle your anxieties like distract your thought, soothe your emotions with your sences like smell, touch, hear, taste, 

and smell 

Look it up it can help and try other meds 

Don't give up hope there is hope 

Elizabeth

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Go back and speak to your doctor and consider more therapy

stay strongcry

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up