Is it withdrawals?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was on a very low dose of mirtazapine for about 3 and half weeks but they made me feel really weird and spaced out so the doctor decided to switch me to sertraline which I've been on for around 2 weeks. This week has been absolute hell. My anxiety is the worst its ever been I feel sick keep waking up drenched in sweat at night and now my legs and back are absolutely killing me. is this withdrawals from the mirtazapine or maybe side effects from the sertraline? I'm back in the docs on monday but my head is going round in circles thinking all sorts (dying) and I'm at my wits end.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i know how you feel, me because im tapering mirtazapine and im getting a lot of withdrawals, yet i can't tell you if it is actually withdrawal from mirtazapine or side effects from the other med. Why dont you search for the list of common/infrequent and rare side effects of sertraline? maybe you can find a lot of your symptoms. Now what i do know from others is that sometimes, been on mirtazapine made them feel weird and spaced out, like if they couldn't concentrate and felt disconnected. Others, taken off from a antidepressant, no matter how short or long you took it, lead them to experience withdrawals. For example: You say that since changed you've been feeling some bothering effects which sounds familiar to me since i've heard people off any antidepressants experience, yet again i can affirm this is you exact case cas im no doctor lol. So to me, it can be one of both or both: withdrawals from mirt, or that your body is not suitable for sertraline. Yes i think talking to the doctor who prescribed you sertraline is ok to do, but i dont think changing antidepressants to often is good, you might feel worse and this meds are no joke to play around, this meds are a living hell. Be Careful and best luck to you.

• Posted

Hi I was on mirtazapine for over 7 years and I down reduced dosage from 30 mg to 15mg to 7.5 mg now I am on half of 7.5mg you will experience side effects also depending on the individual and the dosage as every human is different. I will advise this , drink green tea I found this very helpful as it's a anti dexotant and ifound drinking it whilst reducing the dosage helped me alot made it easier and helped with side effects I know it sounds farfetched but this is from my own experience, but you have to drink at least 4-5cups a day I am no Doctor and can only tell you about my experience and someone advised me to drink green tea and I tried it and did a bit of research on it and it can help to flush toxicity out of system or reduce the effects

• Posted

But also check with doctor if it's ok to drink green tea as green tea and other herbal teas can have a reaction to certain anti depressants if you look online you will find this , that actual herbal teas and products can clash with certain medications so check with doctor if it's ok to drink green tea as it depends on what type of medicine a person is on

• Posted

yeah I'm feeling pretty rough at the minute. praying the muscle pains will go away. Hopefully the doctor can give me some idea with what's going on.

• Posted

Hi Angela what did you get down to before you changed ? and was it the next day ?

• Posted

hi was on 15 for mirtazapine and the doctor just said stop taking them and start on 25 sertraline for a week and move up to 50 which is what I'm on now. It was literally off one straight onto another which now I'm thinking was a massive mistake. I feel sick and dizzy my heart is racing and the muscle pain is awful which is doing nothing for my anxiety. it's the worst it's ever been. I've been signed off work for 2 weeks which I've never had happen before. I'm an emotional wreck at the minute.

• Posted

i have been told to tapper both citralopram 10mg in the morning and 5 mgs of mitazapine at night and taper off the mit but scarred to start it !

• Posted

yeah I think I should of been told to taper rather then just abruptly stop. I'm suffering big time and it's the worst time of the year to feel like this. anxiety plus guilt for feeling so rubbish is not a good mixture.

• Posted

what dose of mirt were you on ?

• Posted

only on 15 for around 3 weeks. the doctor just told me to stop and put me straight onto sertraline which I'm thinking was a mistake. He said I shouldn't really have any withdrawals because I was on a low dose for a short period of time.

• Posted

this switching around of psych meds can really mess some of us up. just have to sit it out.

• Posted

Trying my best. its absolute hell. just when I'm trying to relax is when my anxiety hits the roof. pain in my back and hips dont help. plus heart palpitations to add to the mix. gonna be a long night.

• Posted

Hi Angela... I'm so sorry to hear that you're going thru this difficult time. I've been there too many times. I am hoping your Dr helped you slowly wean off the Mirtazapine because it's not a drug you can just stop. I also had been put on Sertraline but only lasted on it for maybe 4 days. Like you, it shot my anxiety through the roof and landing me in the ER. Not trying to scare you there but it could be the Sertraline or a combination of both stopping Mirtazapine and starting Sertraline. I pray you can find some relief here soon and Monday comes fast so your Dr can fix this. Unfortunately, that's the thing with psych meds is that it's trial and error to find the right cocktail that works for your body. Personally, I feel Dr's over medicate their patients, which I know from experience because I'm on 5 psych meds. I'm slowly trying to wean off of them one at a time.

• Posted

im off mirtazapine

tapering citalopram

still on amitryptline and zopiclone and zapain its a nightmare!

• Posted

I really wish they had told me more about these tablets before putting me on them. If I knew all this then theres no way I would of took them. I think I slept for about 2 hours last night. I'm exhausted and fed up with it all.

• Posted

Same here. DR's just prescribe the "flavor of the month", I feel. Do you really think they know how each drug effects each individual they see? I highly doubt they have even tried these drugs themselves. When my pysch Dr agreed to have me come off the Mirt. , he said ok if you're at 7.5 mgs now, just stop them after a week. OH heck no! I know my body and I came off of it slower than molasses. I ended being on like 1,67 mgs for two weeks, then stopped. Drs don't always have our best interests at heart. SADLY!

• Posted

I agree with you about the docs that prescribe Mirt. Mine told me 7.5 for two weeks then 3.75 for two and quit. He told me it isn't addicting. I have been tapering slowly. It is a terrible drug with a lot of side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.