Is medication always the answer

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on lots of different types of medication for depression and bipolar disorder. Some medication helped for a short time. Most of the medication I was on made me feel worse. So is there something that I am needing?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Getting out of your head, starting to live, starting to walk or run, hike, and move move and move. Force your self to think positively, even if you are faking it. Fake it until you make it. You are not your disorder, you are you and your disorder will fall in line once you understand that your life is in your control
  • Posted

I have been on lots of different types of medication (lithium, tegretol,depakote,fluoxetine.)These are a few of the medication I have been on. Some of them worked for a short time. Others I was allergic to.
  • Posted

For some people medication is effective, some also find it useful to bridge the gap between counselling sessions until headway is made. My personal experience having tried everything apart from electro convulsion therapy is that doctors and psychiatrists find it very easy to prescribe powerful medication such as anti anxiety, anti depressants and anti psychotics. My suggestion would be to also explore psychoanalytic therapy or cognitive behavioural therapy. They may not work for you but equally they could, and as such spare you the trouble of trying meds and suffering their side affects and any ineffectiveness. One thing I will say is this takes time, there is no miracle pill which will immediately fix the way your feeling but perseverance and positive thinking will help. Best of luck to you and hope you find the light soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.