Is my dose too high?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on 20mg for 5 weeks now and i dont feel like im getting anywhere. If anything my anxiety feels worse..with the exception of evenings where i feel slightly calmer.

Is my dose too high? Or not high enough?

Please help me

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever had your vitamin d3 levels checked
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, have you had any improvement at all?  sleeping, eating, etc.  It does take a while for these drugs to really make a difference but you probably should have felt some improvement, even if very slight.  I think 20 mg is a good dose because it's considered the theraphetic dose and it's always good to stick with a dose for a good few months to let things settle.  At 3 months I was thinking of upping from 20 to 30 mg but glad I didn't because at almost 4 months I am starting to feel well again.

Good luck.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Anna. Thankyou for your reply. Yes my sleeping is better. I wake up during the night but not as much. I still have morning anxiety upon waking but its not as bad. My appetite has returned to near normal. The headaches have gone and the nausea is dramatically better.

In fact I have no side effects anymore except for the anxiety which definitely got worse after upping the dose.

Do u still have morning anxiety? Are there days when you feel much better?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sounds like you have had quite a lot of improvements like I did so i'm sure things will continue to improve like they did for me.

The anxiety will increase when you up your dose but it will settle again in time.  From my experence I'd stick with the 20 mg as everytime you change your dose it messes up your system again.

I don't get morning anxiety anymore.  It did take a long time to go and I know how bad it is - not a good way to start the day, but I wake-up now totally relaxed when I used to be a bag of nerves.

At first I got the odd day when I felt better - but it gradually improved and now I've had a couple of good weeks.

Its not a quick fix but it's worth the wait.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Anna...thanks again for your reply. You say the anxiety increases when u up doses but i upped 5-6 weeks ago and it still hasnt calmed down at all.

How long before yours subsided?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Neil, I went straight onto 20mg at the end of December.  I think it took a good 3 mnths for things to really settle down.  I know from reading the other posts on here that people say that it is like starting again everytime you change dose.

I was so temped to up my dose because I still had the morning anxiety but glad I didn't now because i'd rather be on the lowest dose possible.  If you read some of Katecog's post she is really encouraging.  she kept me going.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Anna, thanks again, ive read Katecogs posts and they do sound positive but its hard to see the wood for the trees at the moment. I feel so anxious and on edge at work during the day...i cant concentrate. Yet in the evenings im calmer and its bearable.

Im sure i shld be feeling better by now..even if its only for temporary moments.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's hard to say for everyone, but I know I was convinved that these tablets weren't for me because progress was so slow, but I was so glad to be sleeping and eating again (i'd only been getting a couple of hours sleep each night before I started taking them and I had worrying weight losss) that I just stuck with it.  

If i was you i'd give it another couple of months.  I know it seems like a long time but you can't really say whether it will work if you don't stick with it.  My mood only really started to improve in the last few weeks.

You also need to try and calm yourself with some positive thinking and looking after yourself - good food, no alcohol, gentle exercise.

You will get there.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hiya, I've been wondering the same thing. Did you start off on 10mg or straight to 20mg?

I started on 10, felt awful the first week or so then I definitely noticed an improvement. I plummeted again with worry of returning to work so my doctor upped it to 20, felt awful again for a week and then seemed to be nearly normal just my anxiety and the shaky feeling was back at square one again. The last few days I've halved my tablets and I feel as though the shaking is nearly gone and my anxiety is getting slightly better.

I wondered if going up to 20 wasn't necessary for me

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi. Yeah i started on 10mg but years ago.

Question did you notice an immediatr effect from going back to 15mg?

I know my doc will say go to 30mg... ..but im.not sure i want to.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi MediumNeil. I started on20 ml. The first 6 weeks the side affects where very unpleasant, but because I am going on hols I did not want to come off so I take one every 3 days, wether this is good or not I don't know but I do feel slightly better. I am going to the doc next week to see of I can go to 10 m

Then the plan is to gradually come off completely. I only take them for balance which is due to anxiety. I have bought some 5 htp herbal for a substitute. I will post when I have been n them for a while. This could take time. Regards pat

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up