Is my recovery normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I'm at day 14 still elevating a lot & icing a few times a day, not bearing any weight. My foot feels numb/cold a lot, but ready to explode if its down for any length of time. My ankle is really sore at night -- I think from holding it up when on my crutches and from exercises?? & my foot is uncomfortable with the abundance of odd sensations making it hard to go to sleep. I keep feelingthings like my bandage is tearing at my skin, or a bubbling on my big toe, or a screw digging in my little toe (among others). My toes and ankle look normal so I don't think its the slipper cast which comes off in 2 weeks. I have a high tolerance for pain so I don't think I am being a baby about it. I'm incredibly frustrated as i thought i would be back to work today. Could it be dissolvable stiches, blood flow, too much or too little of something? Is/has anyone else had issues like these? Is this all just normal?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What did you have done?

• Posted

A bunionectomy with screw fixation, correction of my little toe and removal of os tibiale in my ankle not sure which bunion procedure exactly.
    • Posted

Yes sounds all very familier. I dont have any real pain but there are weird little sensations. I imagine them to be my bones and ligaments fixing themselves. I'm 11 days post op and I'm sticking to the rest and elevate routine until my bones are repaired enough for weight bearing. It's February and cold so there's no hardship skipping work stuck inthe house.

• Posted

After 2 weeks that all sounds completely normal. I'm 11 weeks and have been following these discussions for 3 months. Everything you've mentioned someone has gone through so don't worry. There's a good facebook group called I survived a bunionectomy which might help
  • Posted

Hi I'm 3 weeks post tomorrow still elevating and resting stitches out on Thursday my bandage and stitches feel as they dragging on skin also ! And a tight feeling I don't get a bubbling feeling but I do get strange sensations only way I can describe it is as though something is wriggling on toe lol also when I put foot down it feels as though it gunna explode too so I'm guessing it's all normal
    • Posted

You're description of something wriggling on your toe describes the bubbling feeling better...good to know it's not just me.
  • Posted

as long as you do not have temperature it all appears to be normal

I think your expectations were highly unrealistic.  It takes significantly longer and it will also depend on how your suregery was performed and how you are.  

Just take it easy,  take some pain killers,  elevate your foot and keep your mind busy with anything you can like a good book or good movie.  You will get there but it is likely to take many weeks longer then you thought.  I am 9 weeks post bunion removal,  big toe fusion and fore foot reconstrucion and I am walking with a significant limp and only in surgical shoe as no other shoe fits yet.  

Good luck,  it will get better 

• Posted

Yes I agree my expectations were definitely not set appropriately. That's the most frustrating part. I'm 37 with two small children so not only is my employer dealing with a longer return by me, but my poor husband is being run ragged. At least now after reading in this and other forums I feel like my recovery is normal and I just have to embrace it. I can also set others expectations better. Thanks for the replying.
  • Posted

oops I meant 

It will depend on how your surgery was performed (key hole or large cuts) and how old you are as recovery time differs significantly.  Older bones are often calcium deprived and they take longer to come good

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up