is my thyroid back

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I had radio-iodine treatment last year to zap out my thyroid as i had been overactive for a while. I have since been treated for underactive and the doctors are still trying to find the right level for me. However, 2 weeks ago i started having palpatations etc and my blood test revealed i was overactive again. My thyroxin has been reduced at the moment and it will take a few weeks to show any result. However my gp is worried that my thyroid might be back. Has anyone else had the thyroid return after having the radio-iodine treatment?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Barbara,  I haven't had RAI myself, but I have heard of people here (Ireland) who've had to have a second zapping of RAI.  Hope you'll be feeling better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Im not looking forward to another dose but i guess we dont get many choices with thyroid. Best wishes. x
  • Posted

You need to see a board certified rheumatologist who knows far more about this disease and appropriate treatment than a GP.
    • Posted

Hiya. I dont mean to sound dumb..But why would a rheumatologist be involved with thyroids? I thought they dealt with arthritus?
    • Posted

Rheumatologists deal with auto-immune conditions, especially rheumatoid arthritus, but there are many other conditions as well that are auto-immune and Graves' Disease is one in which the antibodies stimulate the thyroid to increase production of thyroid hormones.  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is another one involving the thyroid by destroying it.  Endocrinologists deal with diseases that affect endocrine glands, like the thyroid, the pituitary, the pancreas (causing diabetes,) etc.

I suppose either a rheumatologist or an endocrinologist would know more about this subject than a GP but I am particularly surprised the GP didn't refer you to an endocrinologist.

• Posted

Hi fern. Thanks for your reply. I have seen an endocrinologist in the past which is how i had the rai treatment. I just never realised why  a rheumatologist would be involved. But i understand now how its connected to Graves Disease. Thank You

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.