Is my wrist sprained? Should I be concerned?

Posted , 1 user is following.

On Thursday's night, I fell on a bed and over extended my left wrist, with my palm open, and heard, or rather felt, a pop in my wrist.

It wasn't a big fall, and it was a bed with a mattress not concrete, but my hand did take most of my weight for an instant.

There was no immediate pain, but after a couple minutes I did experience pain on the front side of my wrist, specifically when bending it forward, the pain was sharp but subsided significantly when I kept my wrist still. A couple hours after I also saw my wrist's range of movement be diminished, I could bend it very little forward and almost nothing backward.

On Friday, I noticed whenever I twisted my arm 180 degrees, so my palm would be up and then down and so on, there was a small but noticeable click somewhere in my wrist, it's hard to tell exactly on what part it is clicking but it happens inside the area of the wrist, it doesn't cause pain.

I have noticed too that the area of my wrist closest to my thumb, on the back of the hand hurts sharply whenever I bend my hand forward and apply a little pressure such as when picking up my phone.

During Friday's afternoon and Saturday, I've noticed my whole arm seems to be sore, specifically around the inner part of elbow and the triceps area, and feels a little weak compared to my other arm.

I may have noticed a very small bruise on a part of the back of the wrist, but it looks greenish and fades with the green of the veins so it's not noticeable.

My wrist/hand hasn't swollen and I have been able to sleep so the pain it's not present all the time. There is no fever or any other symptom besides what I've explained. I do not suffer from any bone or joint disease. I am not on any medication and have taken nothing for the pain yet either.

I haven't seen a doctor yet because I initially thought it would just go away soon since like I said it wasn't a big fall and it wasn't a hard surface. But the constant clicking, random sharp pain, I would say it's a 5/10 lasting 1 or 2 seconds, and now the soreness/slight weakness of the arm has me a little worried.

Any input is appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.