Is racing heart also a side effect of increasing antidepressant?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, am ten days into increased dose of cit, from 2.5mg to 5mg. Not every day, but occasionally, experiencing a racing heart, although don't actually feel panicky. More irritable, to be honest. (should also say I did a detour from 2.5 to 10 to 5 mg. So have swung around the dosages a bit, which has created some turbulence, shall we say.) Is racing heart/palpitations likely to be a side effect? Am pretty sure it will be, but just wanting to know. My poor nervous system doesn't know what's occurring.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately that is part of the side effects for some Ruth, have you tried some mindfulness/meditation to compliment your meds?
    • Posted

Thanks Mike, was doing some progressive relaxation and I run a lot, but this side effect got worse the last couple of days. Strange. Probably situational as I was worried about looking 'out of it' at work. Also, I think the increase dose is kicking in, as my mood feels better, I have more energy..... just have fast heartbeat with the elevation. Took a beta blocker last night, and some melatonin, had a better sleep. Don't really want to beta block it out, I think I will get back into the meditation. Was just quite sudden and I was disconcerted.

• Posted

Hi Ruth, did your doctor prescribe melatonin with citalopram? If not, might be worth speaking to them about it. These two together makes me uneasy as they do similar things, I do know that its advisable to avoid energy drinks and caffeine drinks with melatonin, but cant remember why. Magnesium instead of melatonin would be my preferred choice, apart from helping with sleep it assists with lowering blood pressure. Regarding your racing heart well worth checking with your doctor for peace of mind as citalopram has had bad press in the past with the high dosages and the heart. Your dose is very low so agree with you regarding turbulence.
    • Posted

Hi Paula, no he didn't. I have a friend who gave me some. It did knock me out a bit. I think yes, I should really check with gp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.