Is some visible mucus in stool normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’m a young adult male who otherwise has no major health issues. However my doctor believes I may have some IBS as a little over a year and a half ago after moving I started having occasional bouts of diarrhea (about once a month or every other month since then) with moderate to severe abdominal pain that goes away when a movement passes-however something I am worried about is that I often can see visible mucus in stool. Not copious amounts unless it is actually diarrhea or clear disturbance. But definitely visible just white and sometimes brown. Online I’ve read some visible mucus is normal, other places say it should never be visible or in only tiny amounts. Again it isn’t like this is covering the movement but there are usually a few strands on each movement if I bother to look. The mucus I remember seeing my whole life though, long before I ever had the recurring diarrhea etc. so to me I’ve just always assumed it’s normal. Am I just looking too much into it or is this cause for concern?

Doc has taken bloods checking for inflammation as well as a basic stool sample and tested for celiac gene, mostly ruling out IBD

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.