Is there a 'best' time to take cit and is it wise to change?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm about 3 weeks in taking Citalopram 20mg. After a week researching side effects etc. post-prescription, I decided to start taking the medication but I was very aware of the importance in maintaining a routine of taking it at the same time daily. Partly due to wariness of side effects, I decided to start taking it at 22:00 - I typically don't sleep until midnight and usually up for work around 08:00, and usually sleep ok. Sleep has been very restless which I had come to expect and I have gone through ups and downs with side effects, the past few days feeling very disconnected in particular. Unfortunately, I've noticed the last 4/5 days being incredibly tired, sleeping for longer, and still being tired, struggling to wake up or get out of bed - I'd missed work a few days last week and again today.

It's a physical tiredness beyond mental tiredness and I'm not sure whether it's because of when I'm taking it and whether it would be sensible to try and take it in the morning instead. I know it could also be a side effect which will pass and I have an appointment scheduled with my GP next week but just wondered in the interim.

Thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Will,

I had exactly the same effects as you with being really tired etc to the point where I nodded off in a team meeting! That was a low point. I’ve found taking it earlier in the evening helps a lot with waking the next day. Maybe try taking at 7 or 8pm, in my experience changing the dose by an hour or two whilst you’re adjusting won’t have a huge effect in terms of being consistent with what time you’re taking it. 

Stick with it, Citalopram has been great for me personally and you will feel more settled soon. 

Also the tiredness does gradually wear off over time, your body is just adjusting and the brain chemicals are too so your body is going to feel a bit strange. That does change though. 

• Posted

thanks for your response Claire, I had similar last week in a meeting which contributed to taking a few days off. glad the tiredness starts to wear off but I'll definitely be sticking with it. best regards

• Posted

Hi Raj

Yes I was taking primarily for anxiety and definitely think it helped. Any questions please ask me. X

• Posted

Hi Will,  I also take my 30mg at 22.00.  I also feel Incredibly weak and exhausted every day and have done for over six weeks.... I’m told this will wear off over time but I don’t know how I could ‘work’ feeling this weak and exhausted.... things we go through eh.... 
    • Posted

how long have you been taking it for? I'm hoping the tiredness wears off, weak and exhausted is exactly it. worst part is it feels as though I come across as lazy, people that don't understand but it genuinely feels impossible to get up and ready 

• Posted

Into my seventh week.  And still shattered most of the day.  I’ve got to go to the post office now to pay a gas bill and post an ebay sale and it seems such an effort 🙄 as I am so weak all over but I’m lucky my partner understands how I and we feel as she also went through this. I’ve added her to my profile pic on here as the way I see it she is going through this with me.... 

• Posted

It's really hard when you feel that drained and tired and it lasts most if not all the day. I'm glad your partner is understanding and supportive, definitely helpful to have something else other than your own well-being to focus on in taking the cit. 

Keep me posted with your progress, I'm some weeks behind but I've actually found sharing experiences and seeing other people begin to reap the benefits a real reassurance personally 

• Posted

Most Doctors say take in the AM, when it is working fully and you're only getting the benefits and no side effects you can take it anytime as your body is completely used to it.

• Posted

thanks for the advice, I hadn't yet taken it for today as I'd been out but I think I will now wait and try take it tomorrow morning and fall into a different routine with it, even now I feel absolutely drained so it will hopefully make some difference until fully used to it. cheers again Mark

• Posted

I too was wondering this as I feel so tired from it. I have been taking it at 23:00 ish but was wondering when would be best. I am just about to start working fully but feel too tired to do it
  • Posted

I changed mine to the morning thats what my gp advised at least u do get some sleep that way
  • Posted

Hi I'm on week 3 of 40mg of citalopram, been upped from 20,, in the 2nd week I was totally shattered and weak, slept for 9 hours most nights and about 2 hours in the day!! Luckily I was signed off work for two weeks,, anyway I went back to work on week 2 of cit and although the tiredness is still there it doesn't effect my life I'm no longer shattered and weak and not as tired as I was before my dose was doubled, so just want to say it does get easier 😀

• Posted

Thanks Sheltisha, that's really reassuring - I slept, albeit very disturbed, for over 10 hours last night, couldn't wake up despite multiple alarms this morning, and still found myself falling asleep before the day ended. 

I'm glad things are going better and you're back to work smile 

• Posted

Hi forgot to say I also take my meds in the morning,, I've also restricted my caffeine intake to two a day Max use to have around 5 cups of coffee a day before,I think this has helped with sleep and anxiety, I now have flavored water or pure fruit juice. I also been taking multi vitamins from Holland and Barret ' well woman' they also do 'well man' they are high potency and high in iron so maybe these have helped with the tiredness too 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.